I need a simple DTMF on/off circuit to control a repeater

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

I need a simple DTMF on/off circuit to control a repeater

Post by mrtor »

Hi Fellow Batlabers

I have a simple requirement (sounds simple to me anyway) of being able to turn on & off a mobile repeater in a vehicle with a DTMF tone.

I need to be able to switch on a back up repeater in the event that the primary repeater is going to fall out of range or needs to pull out of a rolling convoy for what ever reason.

I thought a dedicated frequency (I have plenty at my disposal) with a simply circuit hooked up to a mobile radio (such as a gm300) would detect the DTMF being sent (example 1 for on 5 for off) and would trigger the relay accordingly.

I can't find anything that is commercially available that is that basic and doesn't cost a fortune as funds are limited for the project.

Anyone seen something, a schematic etc that can do this?

Thanks in advance
Michael
Melbourne, Australia
Will

Re: I need a simple DTMF on/off circuit to control a repeater

Post by Will »

What radios are used in the mobile repeater.

Most mobile radios have a DTMF decoder option that sets a relay output. The GM300 will do this.
psapengineer

Post by psapengineer »

Have you seen this one:

http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/npb/s ... st809b.htm

Regards, Bob
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

Will wrote:What radios are used in the mobile repeater.

Most mobile radios have a DTMF decoder option that sets a relay output. The GM300 will do this.
Hi Will

Sorry for the late response, I have been away... I was planning to use 2 x GM300's (1 tx 1 rx) so that sounds like exactly what I need.

Any further clues appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Mike
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

psapengineer wrote:Have you seen this one:

http://www.com-spec.com/selectone/npb/s ... st809b.htm

Regards, Bob
Thanks Bob, hadn't found that in my original web crawling.. I will contact them also and get some price details. Will's idea (see above) sounds like it will do the trick for my basic application.

Thanks for the suggestion

Regards
Michael
Sunny, Melbourne
Australia
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Have you looked at the purpose-built vehicular repeaters like the Pyramid SVRs or the Vertex VXR-1000? All of the "PAC-RT compatible" units have an automatic priority resolution scheme that will automatically activate another repeater if the primary unit leaves the scene or goes off the air. No user action is required.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

HumHead wrote:Have you looked at the purpose-built vehicular repeaters like the Pyramid SVRs or the Vertex VXR-1000? All of the "PAC-RT compatible" units have an automatic priority resolution scheme that will automatically activate another repeater if the primary unit leaves the scene or goes off the air. No user action is required.
Good afternoon

Didn't even know such a beast existed, but it sounds interesting. I'll do a google search and see what I can find out. Thanks for the tip

Regards
Mike
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”