AstroTAC Analog Operation

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

calatk
New User

AstroTAC Analog Operation

Post by calatk »

I have a Quantar repeater, two additional AstroTAC receivers, and an AstroTAC comparator. However, I need to operate the system in analog mode until all of the old analog mobile and portable radios have been replaced with digital models. I have set up and tested this system in P25 digital mode (along with console wireline control via a DIU) and everything works great. However, I cannot figure out how to make the AstroTAC comparator work in analog mode. I do have old SpectraTAC comparators I can use, but I was hoping to decommission those because they are becoming unreliable. Any suggestions on setting up the AstroTAC to work as a conventional analog comparator?
xmo

Re: AstroTAC Analog Operation

Post by xmo »

Is the comparator an AstroTac or an AstroTac3000?

What firmware versions are in the comparator and in the Quantar & receivers?
calatk
New User

Post by calatk »

I am using an AstroTAC 3000 comparator. The firmware versions are as follows:

AstroTAC 3000: Control Card OC_R03.16.000, B1_R03.10.000, B2_R03.11.000. CP version 3.9. Wireline Boot R03.06.002, software R03.10.000

Quantar: Stn Ctrl R020.14.029, Wireline R020.14.003, Exciter R020.09.018, Boot 2 R020.13.001, Boot 1 R020.10.013, CP version 14.

The receivers have the same firmware as the Quantar (without the exciter of course).
xmo

Post by xmo »

I don't think you can set it up for analog only but the AstroTac3000 should be able to do analog voting if you set the system up as mixed-mode.
calatk
New User

Post by calatk »

I will set up as Astro P25 again and leave all of the v.24 cables connected, then try switching to mixed mode. I agree with others on this forum that mixed mode is not a good idea for conventional P25, but in this instance everyone will be (or should be) operating in analog mode until the official cut-over to digital.
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

The system remains in the Astro Digital Mode until it detects an Analog signal. Only then does the Astro TAC receiver(s) switch to Analog Mode for the Astro TAC Comparator and Quantar Base Station / Repeater. I do not believe the Astro equipment will allow Analog Priority programming.

Dan
corona
New User

Post by corona »

Dan562 wrote:The system remains in the Astro Digital Mode until it detects an Analog signal. Only then does the Astro TAC receiver(s) switch to Analog Mode for the Astro TAC Comparator and Quantar Base Station / Repeater. I do not believe the Astro equipment will allow Analog Priority programming.

Dan
In the Astro-TAC RSS configuration, you could configure the vote priority of a conventional system to be "ANALOG > DIGITAL".
From the help:
"ANALOG > DIGITAL - In this configuration, voted analog signals will take priority oever voted digital signals. A digital call from a subscriber will be preempted by an analog call from a subscriber in this configuration."
Rod Farva
What radios do you own?: Way too many!!

Post by Rod Farva »

The AstroTac comparators are primarily for Astro 7x trunking systems, they will do conventional and analog but it is very difficult to get them to do it properly!
I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA I WANT A GOD*&^*& LITER OF COLA!
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Rod Farva wrote:The AstroTac comparators are primarily for Astro 7x trunking systems, they will do conventional and analog but it is very difficult to get them to do it properly!
This does not sound right to me. The AstroTAC 3000 was designed for mixed mode operation, mainly SmartZone 4.1.

7.x systems are entirly a IP backhaul and they use a IP based comparator. The early ones were housed in a AstroTAC 3000 chassis, but only had one card, the new ones a in a different chassis all together.
d119

Post by d119 »

Rod Farva wrote:The AstroTac comparators are primarily for Astro 7x trunking systems, they will do conventional and analog but it is very difficult to get them to do it properly!

As the guy above stated... What?

AstroTAC 3000 comparators were designed for Conventional Digital OR Mixed Mode & SmartZone 3.0/4.1 systems.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Just to get this straight because I am beating this horse in another thread. The astro tac - astro tac 3000 comparator's will not accept line lvel audio and cos from say a mobile radio like a JPS or Doug hall would.

A gentlemen in another thread stated that it is IP based and or modem based and would not accept radio or microwave inputs.

Thanks, Rob
xmo

Post by xmo »

The Astro-TAC / 3000 voters are not IP based, however, they require a digital link from each remote receiver for 9600 BPS Astro control signaling.

This link can be accomplished using Astro modems across dedicated, conditioned leased lines. The modem audio circuit can be the same circuit that passes the analog voice. Certainly this can also be done across a microwave link.

The other option is to use V.24 data links between the remote receivers and the voter [in addition to the analog receive audio path]. These links would normally be accomplished using SRU data cards in a TeNsR channel bank at each end connected by either leased T-1 or microwave.

V.24 is almost always used for the local receiver if the comparator is co-located with a receiver or the main Quantar.

[note: the Astro modem has been discontinued so new installations require V.24 or third party modems]

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”