MTR2000 and using the rear J5 connector for TX audio

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim202

MTR2000 and using the rear J5 connector for TX audio

Post by Jim202 »

OK all you smart ones that know the MRT2000, am trying to use the rear systems connector J5 to
be able to key the radio and place TX audio from an external source out on the air and also have
the transmitter produce the programmed PL tone. In my trials and frustration, it seems like
it can't be done. You can get the TX audio, but no PL. You can get the PL, but no TX audio.

As the manual shows on sheet 5 of 11 of the back plane module, pin A26 is PTT, A17 is AUX TX
Audio and A19 or A27 used for ground.

A call to our super techs at Motorola Tech Services didn't help much. They told me it's one way
or the other, but not both. When I asked what kind if deal is this, they kind of chucked and said
good luck.

I was hopping not to have to use the tone remote control to do this function. The manual sort
of hints at using the pins C28 and C30 for placing audio into the transmitter. However in looking
through the manual, I find these pins won't do you any good unless you have the 8 wire interface
boards.

Did I miss something with the sweat rolling down into my eyes or is this the way the pasta shop
designed the MTR2000? I don't think much about the RSS that goes with the radio either. Being
a fairly current radio, I would have expected a much better software package. What you get, takes
me back to the Maxtrac days of how things are programmed. Glad I wasn't the one who purchased
the RSS. I only had to look over the shoulder of the radio tech working with me who was cursing
with each keystroke.

Jim
HumHead

Re: MTR2000 and using the rear J5 connector for TX audio

Post by HumHead »

You can do what you want using the MRTI connector rather than the system connector. When setting the TX priority, the MRTI connector is treated as part of the local mic path.

I am currently on the road without my programming computer, but the MRTI connector pin out is available in the backplane section of the RSS help file.
Amateurs train until they can do it right. Professionals train until they cannot do it wrong.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Thanks for the tip. I will have to look at those connections closer.

Jim

HumHead wrote:You can do what you want using the MRTI connector rather than the system connector. When setting the TX priority, the MRTI connector is treated as part of the local mic path.

I am currently on the road without my programming computer, but the MRTI connector pin out is available in the backplane section of the RSS help file.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The MTR2000 RSS was the first WIndows based programming software Motorola put out, way back in the Windows 3.1 days, so that's why the GUI looks so basic...they never updated it.

Are you actually using the J6 tone remote connector for anything? If not, you can ground the "L1 -" side and run your TX audio into "L1 +". Set the external PTT TX input for "wireline" in the RSS and you're good to go. Much better sounding than the A17 input, and the PL is generated no problem.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”