Smartnet trunking miminum channels

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zaputil

Smartnet trunking miminum channels

Post by Zaputil »

Will a Smartnet system continue to trunk if only the CC and 1 voice channel are available? Or will it go into Failsoft?

Thanks!
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Smartnet trunking miminum channels

Post by spectragod »

As long as their is a control channel, the sys won't fo into FS. I assume your talking about a sys that is already in operation?
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by davidgcet »

a single site Smartnet will continue to trunk so long as it has a CC and 1 voice. a simulcast system will go to failsoft if it loses more than 50% of it's repeaters UNLESS they are either turned off via SMT or ALL buttons match on all TIB/RTIB and RIB cards. in other words if you have a 5 channel simulcast system and 2 channels are down due a problem if you punch a 3rd out on just 1 card it will go to failsoft approx 15 mins later. been there, done that!
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Actually there is a configuration that will allow a single channel.
The control channel will become an audio channel and then revert to passing control information once the channel isn't being used for
a conversation
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

Post by 123 »

desperado wrote:Actually there is a configuration that will allow a single channel.
The control channel will become an audio channel and then revert to passing control information once the channel isn't being used for
a conversation

That is what I am trying to do on a VHF set up. Although I have been unable to bring up the control channel. Any ideas on why I can not get a control channel up and running? Right now the repeater only works in failsoft mode.
Keep the flames to yourself.
desperado

Post by desperado »

Not sure on the config.
It would need to be configured in the zone controller and not locally at the IR configured quantar.

I only know this exists, and a high level of how it works. Unfortunately I don't know how it's configured, only that the station sits as a control channel
until someone affiliated to it keys up. At that point the zone controller assigns the control channel as a voice channel and quits sending the control channel data to it and
switches it to V.24 ASTRO CAI.
There maybe some version specific stuff going on there as well.
Also not sure what versions support it, only that some did.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
desperado

Post by desperado »

Thought a bit more on this and have a few questions.
First, do you have all the equipment to do this?
To setup a trunked system, you re of course going to need a station for each channel.
Beyond that, you will need trunking controller. The IR station control board will allow some site trunking if configured correctly, but you need a Zone Controller to begin with for it to get the
trunk configuration from.
Point is that just a stack of Quantars is NOT going to allow you to build a trunked system.

Also, where are you sourcing your V.24 audio from?
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

It's called "Voice On Control".

Similar to a GE SCAT site.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”