Trunking Site...

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Renamon

Trunking Site...

Post by Renamon »

Hey all.

I am new to the whole Infrastructure side of radio so please excuse my ingorance...

In, oh say, a SmartNET trunking network that has 1 control channel and 7 possible talk channels, would each site in that network have to have 8 individual repeaters for it to work?

-Jake
Astro Spectra

Re: Trunking Site...

Post by Astro Spectra »

When you say "7 possible talk channels" do you mean talkgroups? If so then no, the system can operate right down to one RF channel in VOC mode (voice on control) but normally the number of real RF channels, hence physical repeaters depends on the system design, size, and loading. For smaller systems there is usually something like one control channel and maybe 3 working channels per site.
Renamon

Post by Renamon »

Sorry for the confusion, I ment 7 individual frequencies plus the control channel. So 8 frequencies = 8 individual repeaters.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Renamon wrote:Sorry for the confusion, I ment 7 individual frequencies plus the control channel. So 8 frequencies = 8 individual repeaters.

You have it correct. Each Rf channel will have a repeater. Then there is the control electronics that gets it's orders or directions from a
master site controller or computer. Each site is linked back to the master controller that acts as the prime traffic cop to control what
goes on at all of the sites and each of the different radio repeaters.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Renamon wrote:Sorry for the confusion, I ment 7 individual frequencies plus the control channel. So 8 frequencies = 8 individual repeaters.
8 channels, eh? The sales rep did that one good. :lol:
luislp
New User
What radios do you own?: Xts5000.

Post by luislp »

Hello.

Smartnet trunking site with 8 Channels
1 channel for control
7 channels for voice traffic

You will need 8 pair of frequencies, a pair for each one, it can support 7 Talkgroup/Private communications at the same time.
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Post by MOEtorola »

Renamon wrote:Hey all.

I am new to the whole Infrastructure side of radio so please excuse my ingorance...

In, oh say, a SmartNET trunking network that has 1 control channel and 7 possible talk channels, would each site in that network have to have 8 individual repeaters for it to work?

-Jake
It depends if it is simulcast, Yes, but not always. If it is not simulcast, No.
Also the other sites don't have to be in the same RF band.
Example: =Site 1 800mhz w/1cc 5vc=, =Site 2 800mhz 1cc 3vc, Site 3 VHF 1cc 4vc, Site 4 UHF 1cc 6vc. Site 5 700mhz 1cc 7vc, Site 6 (simulcast of site 1) 800mhz 1cc 5vc.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”