2-position manual X-switch question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Norman
New User

2-position manual X-switch question

Post by Norman »

Hi everyone. I'd like to be able to be able to easily swap two radios between two base station antennas without re-cabling every time. I believe these are called "X" or "transfer" switches.

So far, I've only been able to locate such a switch from Transco for around $300. I'm looking for a manual switch -- something in the Alpha-Delta quality and price range. Any recommendations please?

Thanks,

Norman
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: 2-position manual X-switch question

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Norman,

Two of the MFJ 2702 switches and a double-male M359 adapter will do what you want to do. They're rated for 1 gHz.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for you reply but I'm unclear as to how this would work. If I understand your suggestion correctly, only one radio/antenna combination could be used at any given time. My situation is this:

I have a primary base station antenna and a second smaller "backup" antenna. Each are attached to respective radios.
Specifically, my HAM tranceiver is attached to the "big" antenna and my GMRS rig is attached to a smaller antenna.

My objective is to find a switch with inputs for both antennas and both radios, and with the flick of a switch, swap antennas and radios. I want both radios to be usable simultaneously. I believe what I need is called a transfer switch.

Norman
Al

Post by Al »

The Transco transfer switches are some of the best made, good to 4 or 6 Ghz, and you'll note that by the price. Most of the Transco switches have an electrically driven operator with many having a manual changeover actuator(like on a waveguide 'baseball' switch) as well. Look around at flea markets and hamfests for pulls, they're usually available for $15-$25, that's where I got mine. Like Tom said, any other configuration using two switches will require that you change two knobs rather than one.
Another company that makes 4 port transfer switches: www.sectormicrowave.com.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Norman,

I see now what you're trying to do. If you use four of the 2702 switches
you could accomplish the objective. You'd have to be actuating four
switches but it would work and would cost you in the area of $200 plus
the coax jumpers. Antennas go to the center pole on two switches, and
the side poles are split between the side poles of the other two switches,
with the center pole of the "lower" switches going to the two radios.

There are also much cheaper 1X2 manual switches available, usually for
about $20 each, these being the green ones you see at hamfests, but I
wouldn't trust them to not put a bad "bump" in the line RF-wise.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Tom and Al --

Thank you both for considering my question. The Transco switches do look nice but are out of my price range at this time. I will keep an eye out for them on the used market.

I'm definitely not going to rig up four standard switches and patch cords. That would be as costly as a new Transco but less efficient. I do appreciate the discussion. And thanks Al, for the sectormicrowave lead.

Norman

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”