MC3000 audio question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

techtonics

MC3000 audio question

Post by techtonics »

Ok I am stumped, here is my setup:
MC3000 remotes
XTL5000 Consolette Non local option
Digital Junction Box

The remote transmits and receives just like normal but I have had a complaint from the user saying that when the handset is in the cradle, with the volume as far down as it can go, can still hear RX audio.

I have looked through the programming of the radio and the DIP switch settings on the board. I would hate to have to adjust POTs inside the deskset but if that is what the answer is I will pull them and set the proper levels.
akardam

Re: MC3000 audio question

Post by akardam »

Assuming you're using fairly recent CPS and the consolette has fairly recent firmware, what's the minimum volume setting under Alert Tones set to?
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

Under the Alert Tones Tab:
Minimum Alert Tone Volume: 23
Maximum Alert Ton Volume: 255
Minimum Audio Volume: 0
Maximum Audio Volume: 255
Alert Tone Volume Offset: 0
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

The remotes are in a dispatch area and only used when the MCC7500 consoles go down, right now they unplug the remotes due to feedback issues.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

techtonics wrote:The remotes are in a dispatch area and only used when the MCC7500 consoles go down, right now they unplug the remotes due to feedback issues.

Desk top remotes in a dispatch room are always going to be a source of audio feedback. I have seen very few dispatch consoles that don't have the mic gain set way too high. It is just the way the radio shops seem to be setting them. In many cases if a road patrol person comes into the room with a portable turned way down so you can just hear it, you will find the feedback problem. I see this just about every day I am out in the field traveling around the country. It's the same regardless if your in Florida or Michigan.

The solution is to just keep the remotes unplugged. That way they don't cause any feedback. The down side to this is that the dispatch operators need to remember to plug them in when they need them.

You could adjust the RX input to the desktop remote, but now your going to probably loose the max output. They are just not engineered to be able to turn the RX volume down to zero audio output.

Jim
akardam

Post by akardam »

Another, perhaps easier alternative would be to program a dummy RX only channel into the consolette, with some oddball DPL code, and instruct the dispatchers to park the MC3000 on that channel unless they need to use it. That way the remote is always ready to go at a moment's notice, and only requires a quick channel change to move it from the dummy channel to the active dispatch channel (or whatever other channel is going to be used).
qball
New User

Post by qball »

I have an MC3000 sitting on my desk, and I know that I can turn it all the way down. There were no internal pot adjustments made when they were installed, but not sure about the programming. I will read my radio on Monday and see if I can shed some light for you.

Along the same lines, has anyone else noticed how tinny the handset tx audio is? If not, IT'S BAD! The problem is present on all of our remotes. Any suggestions? Motorola suggested that I read the manual...done that.
Qball
TrevorMcFerren
New User

Post by TrevorMcFerren »

Jim202 wrote:
techtonics wrote:The remotes are in a dispatch area and only used when the MCC7500 consoles go down, right now they unplug the remotes due to feedback issues.

The solution is to just keep the remotes unplugged. That way they don't cause any feedback. The down side to this is that the dispatch operators need to remember to plug them in when they need them.

You could adjust the RX input to the desktop remote, but now your going to probably loose the max output. They are just not engineered to be able to turn the RX volume down to zero audio output.

Jim
I think you should try this one 8)
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

I've got an Astro Spectra Consolette W7 style head and I was having the same issues as you described. My solution was to go to the radio and turn the volume down to about 4 or 5, I have also unplugged the local speaker from the audio board, and now I can turn the MC3000 all the way down and no audio is heard.

My setup is an Astro Spectra consolette W7 with the digital audio board, with a Digital Junction Box, and a MC3000.

But if you have a W9 consolette with no volume button it defeats the purpose of my post.
Stu
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

In our dispatch office the users swing the handset around (curly cord UP) before hanging it up.
That way the reed switch in the housing doesn't see the magnet in the handset and the handset is active instead of the internal speaker.

(They just have to remember to turn the handset around to normal to make the internal mic work with the red transmit button!)

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”