Quantar Backplane

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MPDREO

Quantar Backplane

Post by MPDREO »

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement backplane for a Quantar. I have one that was damaged (small fire in the repeater) and would like to rebuild it if possible. No other damage besides the backplane. Thanks in advance!!!
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Re: Quantar Backplane

Post by MassFD »

Do Not know if the backplane is avaiable.

Small Fire, details please
Cause Motorola said so that's why
d119

Post by d119 »

I agree, more details please.

As for the backplane, I know we've had them replaced at the depot a couple of times due to random weirdness, but I do not know if it's an orderable part.

I do see empty chassis units with backplanes appear on eBay from time to time.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

ditto details, and ditto looking for a good used Quantar rather than trying to buy a replacement backplane.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Found this info. Not sure what is meant by the metal bracket.
Quantar back plane part# 0184856T01

Quantro backplane is 0184856T03

The part number of the metal bracket is 0784735T03

The screws if needed are 0310943J15, Qty 12
d119

Post by d119 »

RFguy wrote:Found this info. Not sure what is meant by the metal bracket.
Quantar back plane part# 0184856T01

Quantro backplane is 0184856T03

The part number of the metal bracket is 0784735T03

The screws if needed are 0310943J15, Qty 12

$1,146.60 list on the backplane (Quantar). Might as well wait for an empty cage with backplane to show up on eBay for that price.
MPDREO

Post by MPDREO »

One rainy night during the winter I got a call from the station reporting the the radios were down. I tried to hit the repeater and it did not respond. So I responded to the tower site and when I opened the door the room was full of smoke and it was coming from the repeater cabinet. I opened the cabinet which contained two quantars, when I looked inside I had a nice little flame coming out of the top of the Quantar at the spot where the wireline card connects to the backplane. I killed the power and got the fire out and once I cleared the smoke I found that in the 15'x30' building containing our repeaters and a ton of cell tower equipment an ice dam had managed to cause a leak exactly above our repeaters which dripped onto the cabinet and through the unpunched holes on the top into the quantar causing a short which caused the fire. So I spent about $14,000 for a new quantar because the backplane was hard to get ahold of and now I have the other one sitting on the bench, so as a side project I was going to try to get it going again.
MPDREO

Post by MPDREO »

also I apoligize for the late responce with the details, it has been a busy Holiday weekend. :-)
d119

Post by d119 »

MPDREO wrote:One rainy night during the winter I got a call from the station reporting the the radios were down. I tried to hit the repeater and it did not respond. So I responded to the tower site and when I opened the door the room was full of smoke and it was coming from the repeater cabinet. I opened the cabinet which contained two quantars, when I looked inside I had a nice little flame coming out of the top of the Quantar at the spot where the wireline card connects to the backplane. I killed the power and got the fire out and once I cleared the smoke I found that in the 15'x30' building containing our repeaters and a ton of cell tower equipment an ice dam had managed to cause a leak exactly above our repeaters which dripped onto the cabinet and through the unpunched holes on the top into the quantar causing a short which caused the fire. So I spent about $14,000 for a new quantar because the backplane was hard to get ahold of and now I have the other one sitting on the bench, so as a side project I was going to try to get it going again.
That sucks. Any possibility of an insurance recovery?

As for the backplane, see above :)
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ouch! Gotta love weather and water.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

Saw fire once from a Quantar but no water. was that damn crappy Onan supply puking. At least it was contained to the P/S unit.
VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

Is it possible to replace a Quantar backplane with a Quantro backplane?
I'm not an expert in this, but they look very similar - what's the difference in functionality between the two?

Howard
W6WAW

Post by W6WAW »

There are others out there with more expertise but I believe that the answer is "no" if you want to use it as a Quantar rather than as a Quantro.

The Quantro is set up for an external (MSF5000 style)12 volt power supply. I don't believe that the Quantro backplane has the connections for the Quantar supply. I am not even sure that it has the opening for the AC power cord.

The Quantro also uses a (MSF5000 style) external PA. I don't believe that Quantro backplane can accept the Quantar PA.

The receiver, SCM, and exciter modules are the same between the two stations.
MPDREO

Post by MPDREO »

We tried insurance but because it was not specified on the municipal policy they would not cover it. There is now a special policy in place for the repeaters so if it should happen again we would be able to put in a claim.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”