Quantar reflecting IDs?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kk6rq
What radios do you own?: My wife is calling; go away...

Quantar reflecting IDs?

Post by kk6rq »

One of the Quantars our little group uses has an odd issue that I had always put down to
an antenna or tuning issue, but now that we've done all that at the new site, it's still happening.
(we have 1 VHF, several UHF and 2 900s running) Analog performance is smokin' but
anyone who keys up the VHF one in P25 mode gets their numeric ID briefly reflected back at them, both
with Motorola radios as well as EFJ, Thales and one or two that escape me at the moment.

I wonder if anyone has heard of this as a recurring issue? I don't have the FW or programming
details in front of me but can get them in short order if anyone's interested. All are running in
Mixed Mode Narrow.

-Bob
KK6RQ, interrogative....
d119

Re: Quantar reflecting IDs?

Post by d119 »

Do you have a hang time set up in the Quantar?

What happens if you read a 900MHz station, change the module values to VHF, and write that codeplug into the VHF station. Does the problem persist?
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

Obviously not something I've tried yet but I may do so eventually. First thing I'm planning is comparing the various codeplug
settings when I get my hands on them. (I haven't been along on the latest few work parties). I was just hoping it might have been
an issue that a service bulletin had covered or that someone else was already familiar with before I started troubleshooting....

Oops- just noticed your first question-- All of our boxes have 1 sec hang time.
d119

Post by d119 »

I bet that's it. Quantar is repeating the received radio ID back to the user.
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

OK, but that begs the question, why wouldn't any of the other machines with the same hang time do it?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Seeing your own ID is common especially in digital simulcast.

It can also happen during intermod or if the machine sees itself when in TX. Been there done that...
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

It sounds like there's more latency than normal going through the repeater. Are you doing anything out of the ordinary with the wireline interface, or some kind of external controller? If it was a voted system and the links had excessive latency, you'd probably see the symptoms you're describing. If it's just a stand alone repeater with no wireline control or external controller, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

During hang time (or "Drop Out Delay" as the RSS calls it) the station sends the simple P25 terminator frames without link control information, which means they don't contain any unit ID information. So I don't think adjusting the hang time will affect much...
kk6rq

Post by kk6rq »

Yes, it's the latter- no simulcast or wireline using the internal controller.

We just did a full tuneup over the weekend. I'll report back after I've had a chance to do some testing.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”