Using portables as fixed stations

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

boteman
What radios do you own?: AudioMate 360

Using portables as fixed stations

Post by boteman »

It's a bad idea. You know it, I know it, and the American people know it. Real men hang mobiles off of remotes, not portables. Now I've gotta convince somebody of it.

Aren't portables prohibited from use as fixed stations under Part 90? I haven't been able to locate anything specific, but I recall hearing this from way back.

Thanks for any pointers.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Using portables as fixed stations

Post by thebigphish »

...something other than the side of the argument, that it's stupid? Conversion loss on power supplies, low power output, duty cycle of the units, poor cooling potential, jury-rigging required...etc...
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Go to the FCC Part 90. There is an exhaustive, detailed, numerical section index at the start of the document so if there is such a prohibition it can't be that hard to find. Here is the location:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/wais ... 90_06.html
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Look at frequency stability, the portable may not have the required stability to be used as a base station. In the UHF "T" band the GM300 and the CDM's cannot be base stations or repeaters unless they have the high stability option
Cause Motorola said so that's why
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

MassFD wrote:Look at frequency stability, the portable may not have the required stability to be used as a base station. In the UHF "T" band the GM300 and the CDM's cannot be base stations or repeaters unless they have the high stability option
Ah, it just clicked in my head why Motorola canceled the high split CDM original model numbers and went with new ones that don't match their typical nomenclature. I'm guessing the threshold is 1.5ppm?
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

[quoteby MassFD » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:08 pm

Look at frequency stability, the portable may not have the required stability to be used as a base station. In the UHF "T" band the GM300 and the CDM's cannot be base stations or repeaters unless they have the high stability option][/quote]

Wow, that is obscure... Forget gm300 as it is not current production, the CDM in the high power model is 1.5ppm compliant for 12.5 khz operation. Remember, specifically in the t-band there is a difference betweem and base station, mobile unit, and control station. If I recall, 30 watts was the magic number that dictates frequency stability, but is someone really going to complain about using a low power cdm as a control station in the T Band. I hope not, because alot of local FD's here would be in big trouble. I am certain that this is an antiquated rule from the day of crystal and tube controlled radios were around when radios would walk all over the place. The newer mobile radios usually stay on channel. Just my two cents.
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

FMROB wrote:I am certain that this is an antiquated rule from the day of crystal and tube controlled radios were around when radios would walk all over the place. The newer mobile radios usually stay on channel. Just my two cents.
It's not that old, around 5 or 6 years ago you had to have the HS option on a CDM to use them as a base or repeater. I think you could apply the mobile stability rule to a control station.

You are right that the recent CDM's in R2 (450-512) are all 1.5ppm stability, just brought up the stability issue as the OP was talking about the reason for not using a portable as a base station. I could see someone thinking it was a good idea to use a portable and backing it up with a 50W amp. I would not want to be their neighbor.
Cause Motorola said so that's why
boteman
What radios do you own?: AudioMate 360

Post by boteman »

That's basically it. I mean, we all have a technical background with enough practical experience that I wasn't even concerning myself with regulations. But, this guy's bosses saw salesman at a trade show with their portables connected to their demonstration consoles, so OF COURSE that's what they asked neighboring jurisdictions to supply for their interop plan.

Or I could just wait until the portables start melting down and say "I told ya so".
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Kev, Its a good point. I never honestly thought of that aspect until you mentioned it. There has to be hundreds of cdms installed in our area as base stations not meeting that requirement. Oh well, hope they stay on channel. LOL
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

That's interesting I was planing on using a VHF Astro for my 225 watt Micor station to make it narrow band compliant. Inject 1/2 watt at 150 mhz and you get 225 watts out at 477 mhz.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

:o
RADIOMAN2002 wrote:That's interesting I was planing on using a VHF Astro for my 225 watt Micor station to make it narrow band compliant. Inject 1/2 watt at 150 mhz and you get 225 watts out at 477 mhz.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”