MV Squelch and NB

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

MV Squelch and NB

Post by northstarfire0693 »

It has been some time since I posted last, but I wanted to share with you guys something I found on my MV pager and wanted to see what thoughts any of you have.

I posted before that my pager would not receive in monitor at all ( Somewhat common problem with the MV ) and it would still go off if a call was received, but the audio was very low. Today I changed the settings from WB to NB and guess what....... The pager starting working again. I changed it back to WB and it went back to being a POS again. I have no clue on why it is doing this, but for now I am going to leave it in NB and see what happens. I will keep you guys updated.

After doing some searching I could still not find a no BS answer for this question...... On the Squelch setting bar ( 1-5 ) what setting is for what ? All I can find is everyone going back and forth on 1 being lose and tight... I do know 3 is default and what would be the best setting for running NB in a area weak signal ?

Thanks for the help
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Re: MV Squelch and NB

Post by northstarfire0693 »

Been using the pager for 48 hrs now and I am happy to say that it is acting normal. I still have no clue as to why the thing wont pick up anything in WB settings even on a WB system and only works in NB. I hope someone who knows more will chime in on this. I can only guess there is some problem with the board and switching to NB somehow fixed the problem.
WB2IID

Re: MV Squelch and NB

Post by WB2IID »

I just started researching this problem as I have a low band pager that has acted up.

I will take a stab at the reason narrowband works and wideband does not: In many WB/NB radios, the intermediate frequency (IF) filters are switched, as you need different filters for NB and WB modes.

So when you go go from WB to NB you select a different IF signal path.

The low IF (455 KHz I think) filter is a ceramic type for both modes, and it may be that the WB filters are going belly up.

In the past I have seen similar filters go bad due to high humidity, vibration, etc.

I will have to make a comparison between a good low band M5 and a bad one and see what I can see.

Joe

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”