Motorola Minitor III OR IV on Ham

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4LHQ

Motorola Minitor III OR IV on Ham

Post by KG4LHQ »

Tried a Motorola Minitor 3 yesterday and successfully changed it to ham using engineering mode, however it appeared deaf. Anyone know how to tune these things to improve sensitivity?
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: Motorola Minitor III OR IV on Ham

Post by DJP126 »

Your problem is probably a hardware issue. Minitors came in different frequency ranges. The "tuning" is done by the test software.

Mods - You might want to move this to Digital & voice paging.
Dave
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

OK, Well like I said I changed it in engineering mode to 141-149 or something like that just trying to get it to receive better.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

What split was it originally? Just because you hack the software doesn't mean the receiver will tune that far. My experience was that they only swing a few MHz in each direction from factory.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

Was 151-159 but changed it in Eng mode to the ham band. Just would like to know how to tune or whatever to improve receiving capability or do whatever it is to make it happen.
d119

Post by d119 »

DJP126 wrote:Mods - You might want to move this to Digital & voice paging.
Agreed, and done.
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

Help?
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

As stated earlier, "tuning" is done by the software. Your hardware (the pager's rf receiver) is for 151 to 159 MHz, the ham bands are too far away to receive. You would have to re-engineer the hardware to receive those frequencies.
Dave
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

I have had some luck getting a 151-159 split to receive in the ham band. I guess some rf boards will go further out than others. Check out this video on you tube I haven't had a lot of luck with this method. But I have only tried it to get a 450 split minitor into the 70cm ham band. It may be worth a shot. Especially if you have any sort of test equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQIjnc3rJY
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

Still looking for help. Would be even better if I could find a pager that would do 443 mhz!

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”