Users may not create topics, posts, or private messages containing or relating to the following material (especially pertaining to Motorola copyrighted software, unless you want Motorola to come along and shut this site down):

  • Listing for sale or trade of, or links to sites offering for sale or trade of, or giving away, Radio
    Service Software (RSS) or Customer Programming Software (CPS)
  • Profanity, pornography, defamation, or slanderous remarks directed towards any individual or entity
  • Commercial advertising (except in the Batboard Vendors forum, as approved by the Admin/Mod Staff)
  • Any other items which may be deemed as offensive

If any topics, posts, or private messages containing or relating to the aforementioned material are brought to the attention of the Admin/Mod Staff, they will be deleted.

Additional FAQ items appear here in Forum Rules. Please review them for posting guidelines and further clarification.

Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firecomm
was Fire4117
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby firecomm » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

I'd like to try building my own USB cable to program my Min 5 and I'm wondering if it's a simple USB cable with an RJ-11 on the end or is there more to it? If it's a simple one, does someone have a pinout for building one?

I've seen them on ebay but wanted to try my hand at building one instead of putting out the $$. I have the UPI already, it's just a PITA to use it all and would like to ditch it for a simple cable.

Thanks all.

User avatar
SteveC0625
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:46 am
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby SteveC0625 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:15 pm

firecomm wrote:I'd like to try building my own USB cable to program my Min 5 and I'm wondering if it's a simple USB cable with an RJ-11 on the end or is there more to it? If it's a simple one, does someone have a pinout for building one?

I've seen them on ebay but wanted to try my hand at building one instead of putting out the $$. I have the UPI already, it's just a PITA to use it all and would like to ditch it for a simple cable.

Thanks all.

Nope, you can't just use a USB cable. It has to contain a circuit and chip that converts USB to TTL. A tiny bit of internet searching yields all the info you could hope to find about this. It is incredibly well documented at this point in time.

This link should tell you everything you need to know. http://forums.radioreference.com/motoro ... rogramming

firecomm
was Fire4117
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby firecomm » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 am

Thank ya sir!

Elkland1
New User
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Baofeng,TYT

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby Elkland1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I've taken a programming cable for a baofeng radio, chopped the end off, separated the wires, put them in the right contacts on the pager, and successfully programmed it multiple times. Not bad for $5.

firecomm
was Fire4117
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby firecomm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:17 am

Cool.

Any specific baofeng cable or are they all the same? I'm not too familiar with baofeng.

Elkland1 wrote:I've taken a programming cable for a baofeng radio, chopped the end off, separated the wires, put them in the right contacts on the pager, and successfully programmed it multiple times. Not bad for $5.

Elkland1
New User
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Baofeng,TYT

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby Elkland1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I use the standard cheapo one. Only issue is making sure the drivers are right on the computer. The 20 dollar ftdi i think it is, requires no messing with drivers. It's plug and play

firecomm
was Fire4117
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:37 pm

Re: Building a Minitor 5 programming cable

Postby firecomm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Elkland1 wrote:I use the standard cheapo one. Only issue is making sure the drivers are right on the computer. The 20 dollar ftdi i think it is, requires no messing with drivers. It's plug and play


Awesome! Thanks!


Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests