Minitor IV RIB?

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bellersley
No Longer Registered

Minitor IV RIB?

Post by bellersley »

Hey guys. I picked up a Minitor IV pager today and I'm wondering. The schematic for the UPI device looks highly similar in function to what a RIB does. My question; Is it possible to use a regular RIB to program this? I saw at another page, a programming interface which could be used for both a pager as well as the Maxtrac style radio which would lead me to believe the TX and RX pins are identical. Any help would be great, thanks guys!
aaknitt

Re: Minitor IV RIB?

Post by aaknitt »

It's a little trickier than that because the radios use a signal bus where data TX and RX are on the same wire. The pagers, however, use a separate wire for TX and RX, plus one for ground of course. All you need for the Minitor pagers is an RS-232 to TTL converter. They're available cheap all over the internet, or you can build your own for pennies. I'm not sure that there's a good way to use radio RIB without dissecting it, but someone could prove me wrong.

Andy
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Re: Minitor IV RIB?

Post by VE9MP »

As far as I can tell from looking at the UPI schematic, the UPI is more complicated then its needed to be....you should be able to build/buy a much simpler interface for about 20 bucks give or take...

You should be able to get away with using something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0214922190
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”