Minitor II questions.

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zack08

Minitor II questions.

Post by Zack08 »

I don't have a Minitor II yet, but there are a couple things I'm curious about:

1. I don't know exactly how the chargers operate. Would it be possible to operate a II with the pager in the charger, but without a battery in it? Just curious if the charger trickle charges the pager, or if the charging is controlled within the pager.

2. On the 2 channel models, how is the function knob set up? One page position and a monitor position for each channel?

3. Were the receivers sold in different bandsplits, or could one VHF board be tuned to operate anywhere in the band?
HRN

Re: Minitor II questions.

Post by HRN »

1. To my knowledge, the minitor 5 is the first pager that was capabale of having the pager run off the charger.

2. Typically, the 2 channel was just for monitoring a second frequency. However, there are different variations that can be done with that by the way the jumpers are soldered on the board.

3. The RF board is specific to certain bandwidths. You can't put a 42-50 MHz range board with a VHF or UHF crystal.

Hope this helps.
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

I worded the channel question poorly. I meant having channel 1 page in position A, channel 1 monitor in position B, and channel 2 monitor in position C. Can they be configured for something like that?

I suppose I wasn't clear with question 3. Lets say I have a board currently tuned to 159, can I retune it down to 154, or would that require a different board. I didn't know if VHF was broken up into bands (something like 150-156, 156-160, etc) or if one VHF board could cover 150~160 with tuning.

That should make more sense. That's what I get for posting after midnight. 8)
MOTO_LR

Post by MOTO_LR »

Zack,

A normal 2-channel Minitor II functions as you described.
"Bell" position - Selective call F1
"1" position - Monitor F1
"2" position - Monitor F2

A VHF High Band Minitor II RF board on 159 MHz. from the factory should be a NRD7203A and
covers 148 to 159.999 MHz.
The listed specification for F1 and F2 separation is 3 MHz. max.
If you recrystal the pager for 154 MHz., you will need to realign the RF board to have optimum performance.

Bob, CLARKCOMM
Zack08

Post by Zack08 »

That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”