Minitor IV DOS in Windows

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SnakeDoc

Minitor IV DOS in Windows

Post by SnakeDoc »

Does anyone know how I can run the Minitor IV software that is the DOS version on my windows computer.

Thanks very much!!!
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: Minitor IV DOS in Windows

Post by Mfire39 »

Why not just get the Windows version of Minitor IV PPS?

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
aaknitt

Post by aaknitt »

You can run the DOS version under Windows with no problems. Either find the EXE and run it, or run it from a command prompt. Nothing special needed.

Andy
mojo3120

Post by mojo3120 »

SnakeDoc wrote:Does anyone know how I can run the Minitor IV software that is the DOS version on my windows computer.

Thanks very much!!!
PM'ed u something that might help :D
Irmrbean
New User

Post by Irmrbean »

Ive been tryin to use the dos programing from within windows using dosbox (with the correct serial port forwarded through dosbox) but i cant seem to specify a communications port in the software. I select the field and try to edit it but i cant put in text, numbers or any characters. Does anyone know how to specify the port? I cant get the windows version from my vendor as he no longer carries it so im left trying to use the dos version.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

This subject has been beaten to death on this Forum previously, so here we go again.

While it may be possible in some rare situations to get a Motorola RSS that is DOS-based to work properly under Windows, usually it will not. The general tipoff in some cases is that you will be able to read the radio but you won't be able to write to it. The problem lies in the way in which Windows runs the serial port's timing. The sure way to fix a DOS-based problem is to get a copy of DOS 6.22 and boot your computer with it. It also helps in many cases to have a slow computer running, something under 60 mHz. Some later RSS versions will run fine at much higher speeds, so it's a question of cut and try much of the time until you find a combination of computer and RSS that works. You can download DOS 6.22 online at no charge; just do a Google search for it.

Remember this generalization:
RSS requires and runs on DOS.
CPS requires and runs on Windows.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Also, even if you do get the RSS to read from and write to the radio (or pager) in question while in Windows, you run a high risk of corrupting the codeplug during the write cycle. The only option is to boot to true DOS for reading/writing the codeplug. You can edit and resave a saved codeplug under Windows, just don't try to read/write that way.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”