House Siren Activation

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

House Siren Activation

Post by WV8VFD »

Hello all,

At our fire house we have a house siren that has been sitting (other than just playing around with it) We are wanting to get it hooked back up. I have a Minitor II at my disposal, with an amplified charger, but no accessory port. We are wanting the siren to activate from say 8AM to 8PM, and only go off for 3 cylces. Does anyone know of any sources for equipment like this at a decent price? Or know how we could build something like this, and are willing to gove me direction?

Thanks
Tyler Lewis
crazyboy

Re: House Siren Activation

Post by crazyboy »

Sequence Relay & Timed Off Relay to control the siren. Energize the relays from the minitor.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

Under what conditions are you wanting it to sound? If you are just wanting it to sound off the fire tones, then what crazyboy said will work

now if you are wanting it to sound under a tornado warning or act as a civil defense siren, there is alot more to it
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

desperado wrote:Under what conditions are you wanting it to sound? If you are just wanting it to sound off the fire tones, then what crazyboy said will work

now if you are wanting it to sound under a tornado warning or act as a civil defense siren, there is alot more to it
Good point, I assumed fire calls. He hasn't been back in a few months so I assume he has it figured out :lol: A lot of the civil defense sirens here are also controlled by minitors :o
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Sorry, been away from the forums for a little while. Yes, fire calls are the only thing we need it to activate for. Have a lot going on at the station, and my personal life, and the siren kinda fell to the bottom of the list.
Tyler Lewis
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

I would program up a CDM 750 to trigger it off the alert pin on the radio. Run the trigger output to an OMROM adjustable timer that is set to latch for 3 cycles. The fun part is the 0800 to 2000 hours thing. There are clocks available that can do that but they are a few hundred dollars.

In addition you can feed the line level rx from the radio into a Bogen amp and have overhead PA alerting. You can also trigger a second relay timer that you locate near the bunk room light switch to turn on the lights in the bunk room lights on.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Probably the best and most reliable timer would be one from Intermatic. The current units are solid-state, with digital displays and a standby battery for the clock and program data. They come with SPDT dry relay contacts. I have used these units for several years and they work well. Don't confuse them with the older models with the rotary dials because the new digital ones are totally different.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

desperado wrote:I would program up a CDM 750 to trigger it off the alert pin on the radio. Run the trigger output to an OMROM adjustable timer that is set to latch for 3 cycles. The fun part is the 0800 to 2000 hours thing. There are clocks available that can do that but they are a few hundred dollars.

In addition you can feed the line level rx from the radio into a Bogen amp and have overhead PA alerting. You can also trigger a second relay timer that you locate near the bunk room light switch to turn on the lights in the bunk room lights on.
We were just going to use a minitor in an amplified charger, just because it's on hand, and use a light timer like you use in your house to only supply power to the charger from 0800 to 2000hrs IIRC, no power to the charger, no relay closure. Only thing I'm worried about is falsing when the charger gets power back. Forgot to look into that.

Thanks to everyone thats given suggestions so far.
Tyler Lewis
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

WV8VFD wrote:
desperado wrote:I would program up a CDM 750 to trigger it off the alert pin on the radio. Run the trigger output to an OMROM adjustable timer that is set to latch for 3 cycles. The fun part is the 0800 to 2000 hours thing. There are clocks available that can do that but they are a few hundred dollars.

We were just going to use a minitor in an amplified charger, just because it's on hand, and use a light timer like you use in your house to only supply power to the charger from 0800 to 2000hrs IIRC, no power to the charger, no relay closure. Only thing I'm worried about is falsing when the charger gets power back. Forgot to look into that.

Thanks to everyone thats given suggestions so far.
Use an Intermatic T101 timer to interrupt the control power instead of the power to the minitor.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”