Need help/info on radar gun installation

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pump3

Need help/info on radar gun installation

Post by Pump3 »

Hey folks
I'm asking this on behalf of someone else, so I really don't know much about this stuff or if im explaining it the best way but bear with me....

My friends company is installing fixed mount radar guns in several Commercial Vehicle Enforcement trucks/vans

He explained to me they have "analog radar guns" and they need to source a supplier that sells a cable to take the digital OBD-II signal and make it analog for the analog radar guns.... He told me they need to this because the radar gun needs to know the vehicles (the one its mounted in) speed because it uses it like a reference, without it if both vehicles were driving 100 mph it would read as 200 mph

Does anyone know where such items can be obtained? Or have contact info for a person/company that might be able to help?

Thanks in advance gents
tvsjr

Re: Need help/info on radar gun installation

Post by tvsjr »

Why not call the manufacturer of the radar units?
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

I think more so then anything else he is looking for a good supplier to order the parts from, I have no idea what avenues he's tried so far....
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

Is this not as simple as connecting the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) wire from the vehicle to the radar? Any modern vehicle that has OBD2 should have a VSS signal wire which you can tie into the radar unit.
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Apparently he said something to the effect that the OBD2 VSS signal is a digital signal and the input on the radar is analog if that makes any sense
WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Post by WCHija »

The cable he wants connects the OBDII port to the radar, this provides a power source for the radar and a patrol speed reference for the counting unit.

The best place to obtain the cables is from the manufacturer for the radar. I use one in my patrol car, and it provides for a clean install and faster moving mode speed locks.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

The cable he wants connects the OBDII port to the radar, this provides a power source for the radar and a patrol speed reference for the counting unit.

The best place to obtain the cables is from the manufacturer for the radar. I use one in my patrol car, and it provides for a clean install and faster moving mode speed locks.
Semper Fidelis

Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Its a Eagle II radar, I put him in touch with the manufacturer and a dealer, so hopefully he can sort it out
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

Great. That cable is awesome
Semper Fidelis

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”