Radio noise from Strobes

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Radio noise from Strobes

Post by arlojanis »

I am getting a lot of radio noise from a Signal Vehicle Products model 244 power pack and from a Star Sabre light bar. Is it best to ground the shield wire at power supply, at strobe tube, or both?
"The world runs on radio."
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

both...

if you use "hide aways" you will notice the wire has 4 conductors..

red, black, white and bare...

i grounded both ends of the "tap" line and all noise went away..

now as to lightbars, my whelen edge9000 was great against noise...

im not sure about the shielding available on them though...

also what is the distance from your antenna to the light??

that may play into it...

good luck
I TURN THE KNOB, THE LIGHT BLINKS AND IT BEEPS.........THATS ALL IT DOES!!!!!!
PLEASE WORK!!!..just once, thats all...
dbcomm

Re: Radio noise from Strobes

Post by dbcomm »

arlojanis wrote:I am getting a lot of radio noise from a Signal Vehicle Products model 244 power pack and from a Star Sabre light bar. Is it best to ground the shield wire at power supply, at strobe tube, or both?
Do NOT terminate the drain wire at both ends - you'll completely defeat the purpose of the shield. Find a good solid ground as close to the strobe supply as you can, twist all the drain/shield wires together and terminate them at a single point.
dBC. Power is our first name®
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Yes, you only ground the power supply end of the cable's shield drain. Do NOT ground both ends.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Cant comment on the Star Sabre light bar as I have little experience with them.

Why would you NOT ground both ends of a strobe cable drain wire?

I have been doing that for years(many many installs) and listen to the mobile units communicate all the time and have never heard any strobe noise on any of my installs. Is the issue a possible ground loop? Please explain...
fineshot1
NJ USA
dbcomm

Post by dbcomm »

fineshot1 wrote:Why would you NOT ground both ends of a strobe cable drain wire?

I have been doing that for years(many many installs) and listen to the mobile units communicate all the time and have never heard any strobe noise on any of my installs. Is the issue a possible ground loop? Please explain...
Short answer: Grounding at both ends creates a loop for current to flow along the shield. This approach is effective against magnetic pickup, however, the possibility for EMI/RF interference is GREATLY increased. So think about it. What is your system more susceptible to; Magnetic or EMI/RF interference? I'd say from my experience that 99% of interference you're going to find eminating from a vehicle is going to be EMI/RF, not magnetic - especially when it comes to strobe PSU's that produce +thousand volt bursts!
dBC. Power is our first name®
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

[Grounding at both ends creates a loop for current to flow along the shield. This approach is effective against magnetic pickup, however, the possibility for EMI/RF interference is GREATLY increased.]

I would agree on the likelyhood of EMI being the greater of the worries here but in order for a ground loop to form you must have a difference of potential between the two ground points. In most cases (at least the ones I have delt with) if there is a difference of ground potential it is so very negligable that it can be discounted. This is of course refering to vehicle ground points such as the frame, body parts directly attached to the frame, etc. I have occasionally come across trunk lids, hoods, and some other vehicle parts that have been isolated from ground but I am not refering to that here. Anyway - I have rarely come across a ground loop problem like that you describe above.....dan
fineshot1
NJ USA

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”