Running strobe cables (Pickup)

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Prospect62

Running strobe cables (Pickup)

Post by Prospect62 »

Hey guys. Doing an install of corner strobes on a 2005 GMC 2500 Sierra. I've never run strobes on a pickup before, only SUV's and sedans. Any tips/tricks on how/where to run the strobe cables from the cab to the taillights? Is there a pass-thru/grommet in the cab to run wires out to the rear? Do you run them along the frame or through the truck bed?

Any hints from guys that have done pickups before would be most helpful! Thanks!
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Running strobe cables (Pickup)

Post by Pj »

Depends on how the truck bed is setup. On the Fords that I use to do, I ran them straight back to the drivers side rear wall. Just about every truck I have seen, had a gromment (or two) in the rear wall, or under the carpet in the corners for wires. I ran them along or in the frame to protect them. Zip ties and wire wrap where needed.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Once you drop through the floor to the frame, you can just follow the wires to the tail lights, they run along the frame as well. Be prepared to add cable, because the standard lengths won't make it all the way, if you route the right so they don't touch anything.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Also:
Split loom is a must. Loom all cables and seal with tape.
Bear in mind that a truck's cab and bed move independently from one another. If you tie everything down too tightly, the first time the truck goes off-road, you'll have cables in pieces.
Prospect62

Post by Prospect62 »

Thanks for the tips guys!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Prospect62 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys!
Personally, I'd skip the strobes and go for LEDs. Hideaway strobes are a beeyotch to install, and aren't nearly as effective as LEDs.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

tvsjr wrote:
Prospect62 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys!
Personally, I'd skip the strobes and go for LEDs. Hideaway strobes are a beeyotch to install, and aren't nearly as effective as LEDs.
Not everyone can have/afford to have their own Whelen demo vehicle like you..... :lol:

But I'm getting closer.....
KC0ZJK
New User

Post by KC0ZJK »

Something most people don't think of is the lack of depth perception when using strobes ... many vehicles have been rear ended because the driver couldn't tell where the light was coming from ... a strobe flashes and then it is gone ... just something to think about when using strobes only to the rear or anywhere for that matter ... I use a combination of rotators and strobes they seem to work fine ... also a dim setting seems to be helpful if you are in a not so well lit area at night .. the emergency lites don't have to be as bright when they don't have to overcome street lites ... use the hi power when moving or responding but turn them to a lower setting once you reach the destination
rsqemt911

Post by rsqemt911 »

i have run strobes in both backup and brake lights on both a ford explorer pickup and an f150. i usually mount the strobe pack under the rear drivers seat and drill a hole in the floor under the seat directly to the undercarriage and seal it with a grommet. i then snake the cables through the underside to the taillights. like stated before, make sure you have a little extra cable and leave the slack between the cab and bed to allow for flex. it's worked so far for me :c)
The best layed plans are always F*cked up by management.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”