Hideaway LED install help.

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

andyems
New User

Hideaway LED install help.

Post by andyems »

I am getting ready to install some of the new Vertes LEDs in a few of our rescue vehicles. We are going to be putting 8 light heads in. 4 in the rear and 4 up front. I have installed several strobes before, and a few LED sticks with only 2 wires. I understand 3 of the 4 wires. Red is positive, black is negative, white goes to the pattern switch, but what do I do with the green "Scan" wire? Do I tie all 4 light heads in the back together with the green wires and just leave them hanging or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Hideaway LED install help.

Post by FireCpt809 »

Here it is right off the Whelen website.

The LED Hide-A-Way is powered & controlled by the 4-wire cable coming from the light
assembly. Their functions are as follows:

Extend theREDwire to a +12VDC power source (Fuse@3 amps).

Extend the BLK wire to the negative terminal of the battery.( or chassis ground)

Connect the GRN wire to other SYNC capable devices to synchronize their
output. Cap off this wire if it is not used.

Extend the WHT wire to a customer supplied momentary switch
(Fuse@1 amp). See Scan-Lock™ section for operation. (Optional only if you want to change patterns on the fly)

In order to program flash patterns, the lighthead must be on. With the appropriate lighthead(s)
activated:

To advance to the next available pattern apply +12VDC to the
WHT wire for less than 1 second and release. To cycle back to the previous pattern apply
+12VDC to theWHTwire for more than 1 second and release.
When the desired pattern is displayed, allow it to run
for more than 5 seconds. The lighthead will now display this pattern when initially activated.
This will reset all patterns back to their
default settings. With the light turned off, apply power to the WHT wire. With power applied to
theWHTwire, turn light on. Allow the unit to run for 3 seconds before removing power from the
WHTwire.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

Andy,

Once you have the Vertexs set to the pattern you want (I presume the same pattern all of them), Red to 12 Vdc, Black to ground, connect all of the green wires in the front together for the light heads to sync up on the same pattern, and do the same for the four light heads in the back.

If you want, connect the white wires to a momentary 12Vdc switch to change the patterns (most folks set the patterns and forget them).

andyems wrote:I am getting ready to install some of the new Vertes LEDs in a few of our rescue vehicles. We are going to be putting 8 light heads in. 4 in the rear and 4 up front. I have installed several strobes before, and a few LED sticks with only 2 wires. I understand 3 of the 4 wires. Red is positive, black is negative, white goes to the pattern switch, but what do I do with the green "Scan" wire? Do I tie all 4 light heads in the back together with the green wires and just leave them hanging or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lm2032

Post by lm2032 »

Also,
When you install them, Whelen's documentation says that they have to be mounted at or below the horizontal centerline of the reflector (to minimize heat from the OEM bulbs). They also state that you can install the Vertex heads in the bottom of the fixture or the back/sides. If you haven't drilled yet, don't waste your time with mounting them in the bottom of the reflectors. They look terrible that way - the light output bad. Mounting in the side/back is the way to go if you can. They'll outdo strobes if they're installed properly.
The Comish

Post by The Comish »

I was thinking of replacing my old strobes with these...is it my understanding that putting them in the holes already cut out for the strobes, which of course was in the bottom of the headlight assembly, would not make them as effective as they could be?

I was also thinking of cheating a little and setting the patterns then just using the red and black off the old strobe cables so I do not have to run cables again from the front to the trunk...See any reason other them not syncing together, but I guess in theroy I could connect the green to the white on the strobe cable and sync them that way.

My strobe unit is burned out and I like the new LED's but want t be sure they are as bright and effective as the old corner strobes.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

The Comish wrote:I was thinking of replacing my old strobes with these...is it my understanding that putting them in the holes already cut out for the strobes, which of course was in the bottom of the headlight assembly, would not make them as effective as they could be?
correct, they will still work just fine tho.
The Comish wrote: I was also thinking of cheating a little and setting the patterns then just using the red and black off the old strobe cables so I do not have to run cables again from the front to the trunk...See any reason other them not syncing together, but I guess in theroy I could connect the green to the white on the strobe cable and sync them that way.
Works fine, do it all the time.
The Comish wrote:My strobe unit is burned out and I like the new LED's but want t be sure they are as bright and effective as the old corner strobes.
Strobes are dead. Give up the ghost. The LEDs require less current, minimal heat generation, greater "on time" per light head, more crisp colors, smaller wiring, more options for installation, NO STROBE POWER PACK, low voltage switching...etc, i can go on...
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Merry Browen
New User

Post by Merry Browen »

If you haven't drilled yet, don't waste your time with mounting them in the bottom of the reflectors. They look terrible that way - the light output bad.

[Links removed, please don't spam our boards with links to your site for SEO.]
Last edited by escomm on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links to 3rd party site used for SEO.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Since this thread is over 3 years old im sure he has his LED's installed by now

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”