What's Wrong with this Spectra Siren ?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N5LS
New User
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, XPR4550, XPR6550, MSF

What's Wrong with this Spectra Siren ?

Post by N5LS »

Hello, all,

I've purchased a Spectra UHF 110W radio, complete with A9 head, Systems 9000 PA/Siren HLN1185B, Siren DEK, VIP jumper, Remote Control Cable, and siren to radio cable from Ebay. I got it all installed fine in the trunk of my 2003 CVPI, but the siren-to-radio cable doesn't have a red 12V A+ cable. It only has a black ground wire, and the double "zip cord" black wires for the speaker. The cable connector does not have a model # on it. When "PA" is activated from the DEK, I can hear a loud "click" in the grill speaker, but the audio is very low and muffled. Same with the airhorn and External Radio functions.

I contacted the seller, who insisted that there IS NO RED 12V A+ wire on the siren cable, and that it worked for him upon de-installation from HIS CVPI.

I wondered if there is such a cable that exists without the red wire? Or did I install something incorrectly? Should I try to get another HKN4363 cable? Will this siren function without its own 12V dedicated power supply?

Thanks so much in advance for your help, gentlemen !

N5LS
Dallas, TX
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: What's Wrong with this Spectra Siren ?

Post by Code3 »

You are going to need that red wire. It provides power to the "AMP" function of the HLN1185.
N5LS
New User
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, XPR4550, XPR6550, MSF

Post by N5LS »

Thanks so much, Code3, that was it! I had a spare cable WITH the red wire, I hooked it up and it works great!
I appreciate your speedy reply!

Larry.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Code3 wrote:You are going to need that red wire. It provides power to the "AMP" function of the HLN1185.

By any chance do you have a diagram of the HLN1185 amp and wiring? Been looking for a manual or PDF and
no luck so far.

Jim

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”