Whelen WeCan VIRUS

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Whelen WeCan VIRUS

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Just to let you all know, Whelen has discovered a virus in the newer WeCan LED lightbar controllers. If you have noticed your lightbar not performing correctly, this may be the cause. They have corrected the problem but there are still a lot of controllers out there that may be infected.

If you feel that you might have an infected module, contact your Whelen rep ASAP!!!

[Edit] There is no Virus. Whelen misinformed me of the true nature of the problem. Please read below for details [\Edit]

-WEC 8)
Last edited by Wile E. Coyote on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Whelen WeCan VIRUS

Post by spectragod »

And what needs to be done to take care of said infection? Also, are you referriing to the 12 or 18 wire WeCans, or both series?

TIA
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

The ones we have are the 18 wire WeCan Controller GEN 2

The more I think about it, it's probably a firmware writing screwup by Whelen and they didn't want to take the blame. Cowards.

Whelen overnighted GEN 3 controllers for us, and we are to ship back the GEN 2 modules.
kinnelonfire75
New User
What radios do you own?: Min4, Min5, CDM1250, HT1250

Post by kinnelonfire75 »

Wile E. Coyote wrote:The ones we have are the 18 wire WeCan Controller GEN 2

The more I think about it, it's probably a firmware writing screwup by Whelen and they didn't want to take the blame. Cowards.

Whelen overnighted GEN 3 controllers for us, and we are to ship back the GEN 2 modules.
Who the heck would create a virus for such a specific and small "community"?
bburzycki
New User

Post by bburzycki »

Please read my profile before deleating this....

I work for Whelen as a Factory Rep and Regional Service Technician... I have for over the past 15 years..

This post claiming there is a Virus in these modules is untrue - There is no virus in any of our products. Firmware changes are not viruses. I / we / Whelen / would like to see this corrected to not improperly inform your board members.

If people are having issues with any of their Whelen equipment they should contact their local Whelen rep for assistance - but this "virus" is not true and is in no way a virus.
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

bburzycki wrote:This post claiming there is a Virus in these modules is untrue - There is no virus in any of our products. Firmware changes are not viruses. I / we / Whelen / would like to see this corrected to not improperly inform your board members.
You are correct, it is not true.

We found out some time later that the software engineers at Whelen were pulling our local reps leg by saying the problem we were having was a virus. He is so new with the company that he believed them and immediately told us (the customer) that it was a virus. We believed him because he is an employee of Whelen.

Looking out for my fellow BatLabbers, I thought I would warn others of this virus that I was told of by a representative of Whelen. After a while, we began to question the validity of a virus being in the WeCan module and our rep eventually confirmed that he was the butt of a joke from the software engineers. By that time this post had already been made.

bburzycki, if you have a problem with false information being posted about Whelen products, you may want to speak to your software engineers first. :lol:

WEC 8)
bburzycki
New User

Post by bburzycki »

Well if you are really located in Death Valley - that is my region of responsibility - Thus you would be talking about me, and I never made such a claim and all our employees have been here for over 8 years each.
Wile E. Coyote

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

I mean no offense. I am not in Death Valley. I am actually located in the Midwest. I decided not to post my true location because of my competitors. The rep in our area has only been with the company for a few months. If you would like more specifics and/or proof, feel free to PM me.

-WEC
bburzycki
New User

Post by bburzycki »

No I do not need proof - I just like seeing the truth portrayed to the customers we fight to keep on a daily basis... I take a lot of pride in only telling my customers the truth, it's good for business.

Sadly by not posting your actual location that just hurts you in the end, not Whelen or members of my staff.

Whelen goes out of their way to try to support their customer base, and they keep jobs in the US to try to support the economy. Rumors no matter how small never used to be as big an issue when those stayed local and the internet and boards were not available to instantly disseminate information to 1000's of viewers worldwide. I like to try to quash these quickly be them true or untrue - I like to see the problem solved properly.

Thank you for posting up the real story and getting it all straight in people minds.

Sadly your local rep should not talk about things he is not fully informed about. I will hang around this board if people need questions answered - I guess my old login got removed as I thought I had been a member here since years ago - but either posts got reset or something changed that status.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I think that this thread has reached the end of its useful life.
Anyone needing to communicate with others involved can do so via PM.

Locked.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”