2005 Ford Explorer siren park-kill

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

chiefops

2005 Ford Explorer siren park-kill

Post by chiefops »

anyone know where I can locate a suitable siren park-kill circuit on a 2005 Ford Explorer?
ka8ypy

Re: 2005 Ford Explorer siren park-kill

Post by ka8ypy »

No park kill circuit, you will need to install a micro switch in contact with the shifter so it is closed when in park and open when not.
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

there's no circuit that grounds when the tranny is in park?
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

I havent done an 05 explorer in say 6 yrs But I do remember there is a negative trigger wire under the steering column that goes to ground when the truck is in park. I used a PKM10 from federal signal to send a signal to the preemption strobe supply.. It may be a dark blue wire in the small plug just under the wheel.
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

Thanks, I knew there had to be one, just don't know what/where to locate it, I already know to use the fedsig park-kill module, today I was referred to an upfitter/installer who should know the answer, I plan to call him next week.
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

FireCpt809 wrote:I havent done an 05 explorer in say 6 yrs But I do remember there is a negative trigger wire under the steering column that goes to ground when the truck is in park. I used a PKM10 from federal signal to send a signal to the preemption strobe supply.. It may be a dark blue wire in the small plug just under the wheel.
Two that I had done back in the day never had a negative trigger, I had to manufacture one.

One was column shift and one was console shift.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

It was taken off the Park shift interlock wire. When the column shift was in park that wire went to ground .
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

Can you advise the color and location of that wire? Do I use a 't-tap'?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Yes, you CAN use a T-Tap, but I would highly recommend against it. They are the crutch, most often used by stoned morons who inhabit installer bays at Best Buy...the same ones who duplicate car remotes when they install your gear...and then go to your house and disarm your alarm and clean your car out.

Pull back the insulation on the wire in question, separate the wire strands of the wire in question to halves, weave the tap-wire amongst the separated strands, flux / solder / heatshrink and there you go...a real tap into a separate circuit. The original wire never gets cut, the circuit gets reinsulated by the heatshrink, and you have a connection that will not vibrate itself loose.

practice on a piece of stranded 18ga before you crawl under the dash for the first time.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
adrianglock
New User

Post by adrianglock »

ka8ypy wrote:No park kill circuit, you will need to install a micro switch in contact with the shifter so it is closed when in park and open when not.
So this a separate device to make the system work? Kinda new to electronics coz I've been planning to put one on my truck as well.
"Drive Greener - Driver Cleaner"
Ford Truck Antennas

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”