True Touchscreen PC Tablet

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NB2E

True Touchscreen PC Tablet

Post by NB2E »

I'm looking for a PC for the car. In the past I've had everything from a toughbook to a Litton / L3 trunkmount system with 12" touch screen dash mounted. What I'd really like is a tablet or even a laptop that has a true touchscreen (as opposed to those requiring the use of a stylus). I don't need new, anything faster than about 1GHz with 2-4GB of ram would work fine.

Anyone know of any tablet / laptop models that had REAL touchscreens?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: True Touchscreen PC Tablet

Post by Josh »

NB2E wrote:I'm looking for a PC for the car. In the past I've had everything from a toughbook to a Litton / L3 trunkmount system with 12" touch screen dash mounted. What I'd really like is a tablet or even a laptop that has a true touchscreen (as opposed to those requiring the use of a stylus). I don't need new, anything faster than about 1GHz with 2-4GB of ram would work fine.

Depends on how new or old you want to go

Older stuff like the iTronix iix325/350 are WinXP tablets that are made of milled aluminum and built like a tank, the ix260 is a laptop with touch screen. They run at about 1Ghz

or if you're going newer, look at the Dell Inspiron Duo. It's a netbook with all it's inherent limitations, but it has a display that flips around and with the lid closed, makes for a tablet. I have one now (replaced my ix325) and am pretty satisfied with it for what I need it for.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

NB2E wrote:I'm looking for a PC for the car. In the past I've had everything from a toughbook to a Litton / L3 trunkmount system with 12" touch screen dash mounted. What I'd really like is a tablet or even a laptop that has a true touchscreen (as opposed to those requiring the use of a stylus). I don't need new, anything faster than about 1GHz with 2-4GB of ram would work fine.

The HP Slate 500 http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/Slate/index.asp and its predecessors
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Josh wrote:Older stuff like the iTronix iix325/350 are WinXP tablets that are made of milled aluminum and built like a tank, the ix260 is a laptop with touch screen. They run at about 1Ghz
We were moved to the iTronix platform from Toughbooks and had nothing but problems. You could drive a truck over one and it would survive but a tech with a serial cable could kill it in seconds.

Pins would fall out of the serial ports back into the machines and short the internal components.

We bought a lot of USB Ethernet cards when the internal ethernet port failed.

When the USB ports failed, we switched to PCMCIA Ethernet cards until those failed. Time for a replacement laptop at that time.

We're back on Toughbooks now.
NB2E

Post by NB2E »

I think I'm going to end up going with the ExoPC Tablet. They're cheap on ebay (around $300) and seem to have pretty good specs. They do multitouch, run windows 7, have a 64gb ssd and 2gb of ram. They have 802.11g/n wireless and usb ports. If I need more than that I'll just get a USB hub and make sure all my devices are USB. They're roughly the same dimensions as the Motorola Xoom which means the RAM tablet mount for the xoom should work great.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

resqguy911 wrote:

The HP Slate 500 http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/Slate/index.asp and its predecessors
I have an HP Slate, it's fully windows with a SSD. It's not bad, but I never use it much anymore.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”