linux will it run CPS?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

linux will it run CPS?

Post by giguchan »

Hey all,
I have a question... I have a CF29 that I have been using to program my CDM'S. My TB does not have a lot of "umph" I upgraded the most Memory that the MB will ever be able to use which is less than 2 GB. I took Norton off and went with another AV that wont slow it down as much, but she is still a DOG. I would like to try Linux. Can anyone tell me if CPS will run on Linux?

I don't remember the machines Particulars, I just know what memory I had installed when I bought it.
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: linux will it run CPS?

Post by Wowbagger »

Most radio software is written for Windows. You *might* be able to run the software under Wine, which provides the Windows APIs under Linux, but it's hit or miss (I've had some luck with Motorola's newer software doing this).

The first thing I'd ask is why are you wanting to use a Linux computer for this task? Are you just trying to avoid having the viruses and crap you get under Windows? Is it that you have a more powerful computer which has Linux on it?

While running Linux on a machine might allow you to get a bit more use out of it for things like browsing and such, it isn't going to work well for CPS. You might try setting up a dual-boot machine, and only using the Windows side for radio programming - NEVER for browsing or anything else - and use the Linux side for everything else (including running ClamAV (a free anti-virus tool) on the Windows partitions on a regular basis).
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Wow,

I just wanted my TB to run a little(lot ) faster... from the time I boot up it can be anywhere2-5 minutes- maybe longer before the machine is finished loading everything that it has to. I have cleaned off everything that I can think of dumped a lot of things in my start up kept the machine as streamline as I can. Maybe, I am barking up the wrong tree?- is there another way to approach this situation? If you tell me that CPS wont do well on my TB I will leave well enough alone and call it a day. The Last thing I need is self induced headaches. I read that a machine that Runs XP will also run Linux, so I thought CPS might fit in there somewhere. Currently, I have the OS, email program, CPS and an AV(NOD32) on the machine.. I was also thinking of wiping the image off of the drive and re installing XP with the factory disks that came with the TB and NOT do the all of the updates that XP wants. I would love to run 7 but I'm afraid the machine does not have backbone-wish it did though.

Thanks for the reply and all of your help in this matter.
Thanks for the reply.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Wowbagger is right most CPS will run under wine for everything except actual programming, you can edit and maintain CP files OK.

If you're not a regular linux user don't change for this reason.

Windows 7 may not be that far out of reach, it will run with 1GB of memory on a Pentuim III better than XP if you turn off aeroglass all graphic effects, etc.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

...so you want to uninstall Windows to put Linux on there run a Windows program? I'm guessing performance isn't going to be a huge boost.

Why not find a cheap $200-400 computer with crazy specs? Surely there has to be something for you out there that's better than what you have.

Also, try cleaning the computer fans out and stuff. Dust and crap can get in there and actually slow your PC down because it's using more power to run fans. No joke, I have seen proc speeds go up anywhere from 10 - 25% after a thorough cleaning.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

Hey Guys...
I am going to boot up my tuff book and share the specs with you all.. I have a Legal purchased copy of 7 that I bought, If I can run 7 on the TB then I will.. I'll us it for Cps, browsing ,e-mail and an AV. I thought about ditching the TB for a more current LT.. but I like the idea of having the TB I the field for programming Radios because it being a tad more rugged than anything else I have. Thanks for the information on cleaning out the fans I keep an eye on that!

* instead of another post I'll just add the info to my previous one currently my TB.
Pentium M738 Proccessor 1.40Ghz 1.24GB of Memory
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Ouch. With those specs I would throw XP on there.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

that's what I thought.... that's what the machine currently runs on. Ok... i'll just stay put then.
I had a feeling that it was not robust to run anything else.
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

XP will be better for you then Win 7. Windows 7 takes a lot more horsepower to run than XP. Not saying it wouldn't work, it would just run slower compared to XP.
giguchan

Post by giguchan »

That's settles that then.... I'll stay put.. Unless I buy a more robust TB... which is something that I was thinking about CF29 is a old unit anyhow.. it's slow but it does the job... funny thing, programs radios pretty quickly but when it comes to browsing, even booting up she is a dog.
Thanks for all of the assistance
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Installed a 240GB SSHD in my TB Runs and boots up a LOT faster Still running XP in it
YMMV
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Has anybody tried Ubuntu with CPS?
I have a dual boot with this, but do not have USB cables for my CPS, so I am unable to test this, only my boat anchor CF-25 as it has a DB-9 port.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

yes, i've run RSSes in DosBox, CPSes under wine ( :o eesh) and more reliably under VMs. I've committed my archives to that unit, but have a old writer of a system that I use for blasting the codeplugs in. i'll try writing one day, maybe.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”