Audio recording and e-mailing

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ANB_Medic
was sja505
What radios do you own?: Jedi's, MCS's, and Waris

Audio recording and e-mailing

Post by ANB_Medic »

So here's what we want to do... We want to record our radio broadcasts - which are very infrequent - and have the audio files automatically sent out to an e-mail account. We would also need time-stamping. I've looked at programs like scanrec, which works well, but I can't find anything that would allow automatic e-mailing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Todd
Sorry, I can't treat stupid...
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Re: Audio recording and e-mailing

Post by ANB_Medic »

Nobody?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

Todd, is this for AM/FM broadcasting or another application? The automatic e-mailing part sounds like that would be a tough one? time stamp also.... I'm trying to put this all together, or maybe you need to shed some more light on what the plan is? "theres always a way to do something, but whats the price tag going to be?"

If its to record a radio broadcast, can the time be given out with the broadcast? (as do most public agencies) Jim
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

We want to record our VHF traffic for our small FD, and have the recordings e-mailed out to an address. This is so we can use it for training purposes or in case there's an investigation of a call. I'll be taking a feed from a GM-300 or maybe just a BC780 scanner. As far as timestamping in concerned, we need to know at what time/date the transmission took place for obvious reasons. I don't have to have each individual transmission e-mailed... it could be as long as once a week even. Money IS an issue, as we are a small vollie dept.

Todd
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Is there a particular reason they need to be e-mailed? I'm pretty sure having a time-stamped recording is possible with some of the hobby software out there and then you could just have it recorded to a computer near the RX radio.

With all of this, you get what you pay for (or don't pay enough for) so what might be ok for training might not be ok enough to cover your rear in case of any issues on the radio/call.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You might want to start asking around to some of the larger departments and dispatch centers. I am
finding that many of them either have or are in the process of changing out their main logging recorders.
Many of these have built in time stamps that record time on one channels and the radio audio on one of
the many other channels.

Jim

Grog wrote:Is there a particular reason they need to be e-mailed? I'm pretty sure having a time-stamped recording is possible with some of the hobby software out there and then you could just have it recorded to a computer near the RX radio.

With all of this, you get what you pay for (or don't pay enough for) so what might be ok for training might not be ok enough to cover your rear in case of any issues on the radio/call.
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

Okay folks.. I'm going to change my question. I can use Scanrec for the logging with timestamps. Is there a way to automatically send the resulting files automatically by e-mail? I don't need anything fancy at all. Our dept did about 40 calls last year.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

cron is your friend.

A simple "cron job" (cron sits around and waits for a trigger event to do something, it can be set from seconds to years) on our fileserver (yes it's unix - ::pwns::) can be written to look in a folder, and then automagically email any files in that folder to whereever you want. I can do that, for free, with 3 lines of work. If you do not have access to a unix based system, and don't have the aptitude to set one up, this information may be in vain. Sorry!

I know it can be done with the "AT" command under windows, and some batch magic, but i've given up on microsoft and have almost completely migrated by dept away from that sludge. I can probably ghetto something together, i think.

Hell, under unix/Linux your task would be rather easy! You could just set up a sound daemon to wait for audio (like VOX and the like) and automatically record each sound file with a date injected into the filename, and then at the end of the week, cron goes and peeks in the folder and looks for new stuff, and ships it away.

All in all, you are (probably) trapped by your dependence on windows, and for that i am sorry. If you have a unix system on hand, i can show some tricks, but it all depends on your current computer / technology aptitude & comfort level.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

ANB_Medic wrote:Okay folks.. I'm going to change my question. I can use Scanrec for the logging with timestamps. Is there a way to automatically send the resulting files automatically by e-mail? I don't need anything fancy at all. Our dept did about 40 calls last year.
Some Google searching turned up a free program called Blat:

http://www.blat.net/

The link below gives some info on setting it up to work:

http://lifehacker.com/software/email/ge ... 168156.php

Looks like it'll do what you want, albeit you may need to learn a few things about batch & script files.

If spending $40 U.S. is an option, then this program should work as well:

http://www.xstarter.com/

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Approach it from a different direction. Why do you need it emailed - just to access the files? Look at a remote access solution like LogMeIn (or, if you want fancy, a VPN), log in, and copy the files across. If you do a VPN solution, you could use rsync to synchronize the files to your local drive automatically.

Alternately, cron and a fairly short perl script should work well.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Who does your dispatching?

Can't be all too hard to get copies from the dispatch center...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

For what it's worth... I just tried the windows solution that wavetar posted and the whole thing took about 15 minutes to set up between downloading the software... having a cup of tea... installing, configuring and giving a test run.

I don't have access to my linux machine at the moment at work but I am sure that setup would be a similar time frame.

Alternatively... if you wanted to go nuts... why not do both? Have ScanRec save the file to a network file share on the linux machine (samba) and have the cron job pull from that drive (directory) on the machine and send away? I mean c'mon.. if you are going to do it... and for free... why not overdo it. Makes for a good "tinkering" project.
Pj wrote:Can't be all too hard to get copies from the dispatch center...
Sure just a simple FOIL request that depending on the center will (in all likelihood) be denied. </FAIL>
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I have been running RecAll Pro for probably 4 years now, continuiously without a single problem. It has been 100% reliable. Every day at midnight, it starts a new file and names it according to the date. For example, the file it started this morning is called 09-08-08_Nomad_1.wav.

http://www.sagebrush.com/recpro.htm
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
ANB_Medic
was sja505

Post by ANB_Medic »

What is this "dispatch Center" you speak of?? lol Our dispatcher is whoever is quickest to answer the phone patch when it rings through. (Did I mention we're a small department :) )

Lots of good ideas there, and I'll check out all but the linux solution, as I don't know the first thing about it. I never thought of a remote connection and just pull the files off. I really like that idea.

I'll do some playing and let you guys know what I went with.

Thanks!

Todd

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”