CP200 CPS programming issue. COM Port

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

CP200 CPS programming issue. COM Port

Post by 1crazymax »

To be quite honest I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. I've ran a search and looked through the forum for an answer. I have a Motorola CPS ver 5.16 I've used to program over a hundred radios, mainly CP200's, CP185's, etc. I'm using the same ribless USB cable I've used since the beginning and it's always worked flawlessly. I've had issues in the past with not being able to read a radio because of the wrong com port but resolved them in a couple of minutes. I've got a few radios I was going to program and for the life of me I can't get the CPS to read the radio, it says make sure it's plugged in and the cable connected and the right COM port is chosen. I've been messing with it for over 30 minutes now. I would usually use COM 4 but I've tried COM's 1,3,4,5,8 10, etc. to no avail. For a long time any time I needed to program a radio I would plug the cable up to PC then to radio, open CPS and turn radio only and never had to change a thing. Now it seems like every time I turn around I'm having a COM port issue. I'm using Windons 7. Thanks in advance for any help that may be given.
jackhackett

Re: CP200 CPS programming issue. COM Port

Post by jackhackett »

You might have a bad connection to the radio. The external mic jack used for programming is notorious for going bad on CP200s, I've probably replaced hundreds of them. Have you tried several radios? Have you tried a radio that you know you were able to read before? It's also possible that your cable has gone bad.
1crazymax
What radios do you own?: CP200's, CM300, Baofeng UV-5RC

Post by 1crazymax »

Yes sir. I tried 3 radios which were the last I programmed, plus the 3 other radios needing to be programmed. None of which would read. I'm also using the same USB port I have already used. Thanks for the reply.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Try a different adapter. Does the USB Serial adapter show up in Device Manager? If it doesn't show up, a new adapter is needed. In DM you can specify what port to use for the adapter.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

To echo com501's point, randomly trying com ports is a waste of time. If it's not showing in Device Manager (in Control Panel) then it doesn't exist. One issue is occasionally Windows decides the Motorola radio is a modem and not a serial port but again DM will show you that.

Return to “Radio Programming”