Astro Saber programming help - video

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

asmitty0010

Astro Saber programming help - video

Post by asmitty0010 »

See link to see what I'm dealing with. I'm using a true windows XP machine with a true serial port - no USB adapters. Using OEM xts3000/astro Saber CPS - latest and last version. RIB and cable are aftermarket and it is a cable for the astro not non Astro Saber. I have tried a wall wart for the rib and 2 brand new 9v batteries with the same result. I've also charged the Astro Saber battery 100%.

As you can see in the video upon hitting read the radio will emit the standard alert tone and the Data light on the RIB blinks. But a few seconds later it gives me the error of the communication failed. Is this a bad RIB or bad cable or both? Is there any speed adjustments in the comm settings thats need to be tweaked? I've only worked with ribless and usb cables before.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Lf1YK ... e=youtu.be
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Re: Astro Saber programming help - video

Post by Doug »

I maybe reaching here.... I bet your computer is 64 bit processor, I had issue with several different radios started running rss on a 32 bit and worked without fail
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

Doug thanks for the info I will check.

Thanks
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

I just loaded this onto a windows 98 machine and its giving me the same issue. I think the rib is no good
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

The RIB has a 5 V supply (78L05), a -5 V supply and 4 protect diodes on the Bus+ and Bus- lines. These are the usual failure points.
Dave
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

Are these known to be bad even purchasing them new on eBay? Are they just hit or miss most of the time?

thanks for the responses.
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

Just confirming, both the RIB and the cable are third-party non-Moto hardware, and your CPS is the very last version. Very few people here can vouch for their suitability.

As I recall, some old versions of ASTRO CPS won't do a one-hop upgrade straight to the last version. You might need to first upgrade through an intermediate version before your "Rev ZZ" can be used.

Next I would suggest contacting a Motorola service shop for help. You kinda need to know three things:
First, can they tell you what version RSS was last used to write data into your ASTRO Saber?
Second, ask them if that version of CPS needed a 2-step upgrade. Other folks here on Batlabs should also be able to provide that detail.
Third, ask them to read your radio and save the current codeplug data file onto a USB drive that you will provide them.
Then you can archive it on your PC, manipulate it off-line on your CPS, and eventually try to reload.
HTH
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

I asked the seller what he used to program and it was last programmed with the latest CPS via an XP machine. I just got my replacement aftermarket RIB today with the same results. I have no idea why it won't read.

Thanks.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

open the db25 rib connector and verify the wire connections to pins 1 15 6 and a jumper between pins 4 11
if you find connections to pins 1 15 8 that is for the analog saber.
the radio end of the cable is the same for both.
hope this helps.
wendell
asmitty0010

Post by asmitty0010 »

I've opened it up and it does appear to be the correct ASTRO saber cable. I have no idea. Could it be something in the radio intself? something in the flex internally?

thanks

Return to “Radio Programming”