XTS2500 Programmed with ASK

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

XTS2500 Programmed with ASK

Post by kotaguchi »

So I sold a XTS2500 700/800MHz Model 3 to a guy.

He seems to had buyer's remorse and returned the radio.

When I got it back,and read the codeplug and then tried to rewrite to the radio,the CPS is asking for the "ASK"key.

Looks like they programmed analog Smartzone .

If I send the radio back to the buyer and have him take it back to his radio shop,can they remove the "ASK"or once a radio has been hit with "ASK",will the CPS always ask for the key??

You see,if the radio will always need a ASK key,I do not want to take the return back from the buyer because that drops the value of the radio that has been hit with ASK.

Thanks in advance.

Ko
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: XTS2500 Programmed with ASK

Post by MTS2000des »

that's the deal, if you hit it with an ASK, it will ALWAYS be required to do anything to the radio. A depot overwrite with a fresh C/P will get rid of it, but that should not be YOUR problem.
It's why I have a policy: once YOU program, it's YOURS. I cannot be responsible for programming errors, unstable platforms, bootleg cables, ASK, etc.

I'd tell them to go kick rocks: they essentially personalized the radio. As it is no one else but the buyer can reconfigure it.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Yep they locked the radio down with the ASK. We are doing this with our fleet to include password protecting the CP.
Send it back and tell him tough...he modified it, he now owns it.
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Post by willbird287 »

Hey Ko,

The latest R17 release mentions something that might be useful. Of course - if you didn't already load R17 firmware then the customer (or their programmer) would just be making more changes...
Abstract: Write Protection can now be disabled
System Platforms Affected: Any
Special Configurations: N/A
Description: The CPS can now disable Write Protection in radios as long as the same
Advanced System Key that was used to Write Protect the radios is attached and
loaded.
--Will
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

willbird287 wrote:Hey Ko,

The latest R17 release mentions something that might be useful. Of course - if you didn't already load R17 firmware then the customer (or their programmer) would just be making more changes...
Abstract: Write Protection can now be disabled
System Platforms Affected: Any
Special Configurations: N/A
Description: The CPS can now disable Write Protection in radios as long as the same
Advanced System Key that was used to Write Protect the radios is attached and
loaded.
--Will
you still have to have the correct ASK to disable ASK. The OP sent the radio to someone who ASK'ed it.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
willbird287
What radios do you own?: Always looking for the best...

Post by willbird287 »

MTS2000des wrote:you still have to have the correct ASK to disable ASK. The OP sent the radio to someone who ASK'ed it.
Yea I understand this, hence why I said the customer would have to make more changes to undo the ASK write protect.
Of course - if you didn't already load R17 firmware then the customer (or their programmer) would just be making more changes...
First they would have to bump up to R17 firmware and once that's done then the customer's programmer would then have to release the write protect using CPS R17. A huge hassle - but where previously there was no way to ever release the ASK write protect - now there is.

Either way I'd not be happy and wouldn't accept the return if that happened to me - BUT REGARDLESS - I decided to update a fairly recent thread with current information in case someone else has a similar problem in the future.

--Will
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

Thanks for all the info guys.The buyer says Motorola decided to allow the radio on their trunked system so problem solved
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3

Return to “Radio Programming”