MCS2000 Advanced System Key

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

MCS2000 Advanced System Key

Post by N6LAU »

So I recently bought an MCS2000 and finally got around to attempting to program it today. Come time to write the radio I am elated to see the oh so wonderful "Can not write without Advanced Systems Keys" message. So this means that the radio has been hit with an ASK, a fact the person I bought it from neglected to mention. This is a former municipality radio and the person I bought it from purchased it as surplus AFAIK, so not likely they can do anything about it. Firmware is 5.42 so it's toolproofed.

My question... Is there ANY way around this or am I stuck with an expensive doorstop?

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: MCS2000 Advanced System Key

Post by n7maq »

N6LAU wrote:So I recently bought an MCS2000 and finally got around to attempting to program it today. Come time to write the radio I am elated to see the oh so wonderful "Can not write without Advanced Systems Keys" message. So this means that the radio has been hit with an ASK, a fact the person I bought it from neglected to mention. This is a former municipality radio and the person I bought it from purchased it as surplus AFAIK, so not likely they can do anything about it. Firmware is 5.42 so it's toolproofed.

My question... Is there ANY way around this or am I stuck with an expensive doorstop?

Joe
MCS2000's did not have toolproofing.
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

Ah ha. Does this mean there is a way with lab to solve the ASK requirement?

Joe
Joe - N6LAU
Spiffy50

Post by Spiffy50 »

If you have a previously backed up codeplug or S-Record from the radio pre-ASK, you can use lab to dump that back into the radio and it'll remove the ASK requirement. Of course, it'll also revert the radio back to whatever features/programming was in the radio at the time, but it sure beats a trip to the depot.
PTR-Jason
What radios do you own?: XTS3K,HT1550,PRO7550,HT1KMCS2K

Post by PTR-Jason »

I am also looking for this help. I just bought a MCS2000, tried programming it and it is asking for an advanced system key. I do not have LAB, now a codeplug from before I got it. i have a regular system key, and got everything programmed up, now its useless.

Is there a way to get a codeplug from a to use, or does it have to be from that radio?

Return to “Radio Programming”