XTL2500 poor recieve.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Gocart878

XTL2500 poor recieve.

Post by Gocart878 »

Hey guys, I have a question that is sort of complex, but it could also be something simple. I have XTL 2500 mobile dual head radios all with the same issue.. And the issue is we are using them with a 400mhz radio system. Our primary channels are 425.4000 and 424.125 which transmit and receive perfectly fine(we are in Buffalo ) and that is our frequency split(420-430) due to Canadian border.. We have a local sheriffs frequency and some higher split frequency's (453.5000, and 460.4500) that sound awful on these mobiles and I cant figure it out. I have looked through the programming and the DPL/PL codes are accurate for both the channels and there is no change if i move the receive to CSQ. The radios transmit fine on both channels, but the receive is all very scratchy, you can make out what they are saying but communications are usually broken up as well or cut off.. Is this an antenna issue? I have cdm1250 radios with both these channels programmed in, and they receive without an issue, but the XTL's are awful.. Let me know if there is a possible resolution.

thanks-- Mike
Jim202

Re: XTL2500 poor recieve.

Post by Jim202 »

Gocart878 wrote:Hey guys, I have a question that is sort of complex, but it could also be something simple. I have XTL 2500 mobile dual head radios all with the same issue.. And the issue is we are using them with a 400mhz radio system. Our primary channels are 425.4000 and 424.125 which transmit and receive perfectly fine(we are in Buffalo ) and that is our frequency split(420-430) due to Canadian border.. We have a local sheriffs frequency and some higher split frequency's (453.5000, and 460.4500) that sound awful on these mobiles and I cant figure it out. I have looked through the programming and the DPL/PL codes are accurate for both the channels and there is no change if i move the receive to CSQ. The radios transmit fine on both channels, but the receive is all very scratchy, you can make out what they are saying but communications are usually broken up as well or cut off.. Is this an antenna issue? I have cdm1250 radios with both these channels programmed in, and they receive without an issue, but the XTL's are awful.. Let me know if there is a possible resolution.

thanks-- Mike

Have you checked to see what band split the radios are in? There are two splits. One is 380 to 470 and the other is 450 to 520. Normally the radio software will not let you program out of the split by very much. So other than that or the front end has a problem, it might be worth the time to get the receivers checked on a service monitor by a radio tech.

Jim
Gocart878

Post by Gocart878 »

the radios ae 380-470... and all the frequencies are within that bandsplit, nothing is out of band at this point... and im just trying to figure out, out of 9 total mobiles, all of them are doing the exact same thing. they are all xtl 2500 radios.. the xts2500 portables that we have sound fine on both these frequencies.. im thinking there is something in the programming that has to be the issue..
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I would still bench check the radios to verify how bad they are on the freqs of interest. You know something is wrong. Now, you have to quantify it.

Spec for a CDM is .3uv with .25uv typical, and for an XTL it's .4uv. Those few parts of a microvolt don't sound like much until you realize that the difference between .25 and .4 is 4db which may make all the difference in the world if you are working a fringe area. CDM's have great rcvrs, but the XTL's are just okay. Better rejection in an XTL, but at the expense of sensitivity. Both beat the pants off the Maxtrac series.

You still need to quantify the problem. It could be the antennas. You'll just have to dig in, check everything, and see what you come up with. If portables work okay, that suggests you are well within the service areas for both systems
4-crime
What radios do you own?: APX6000, APX7000, APX8000

Post by 4-crime »

Sounds like the same type of issue I am having with my SSE5000 portable. I'm still trying figure it out.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

It almost sounds like you have narrowband receive selected on a wideband channel. Double-check your channel spacing settings in the personality assigned to those channels.

Return to “Radio Programming”