Mag One/BPR40 CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pump3

Mag One/BPR40 CPS

Post by Pump3 »

What is the Mag One CPS's official software compatibility?

Im trying to program one on Windows 7 with a USB->Serial Port, yeah yeah I know but this setup and this particular adapter has worked fine for every Motorola radio i've ever tried it on, MTS2000, Commercial Series, Waris Series, M1225, ect

Just curious if anyone's ever had problems and what exactly does Moto recommend for the software to be run on

I'm using a generic ebay RS232 programming cable, but can't get the orange light to come on when the cable is inserted in the radio like the software describes..... I can only get the Orange light to come on if I power up and hold P1 with no cable in the radio

Just curious what your experience may be before I dig out my toughbook and try it on there
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Mag One/BPR40 CPS

Post by escomm »

You have to hold the P1 button when powering up the radio (with the cable in the jack already) in order to put the radio in programming mode. This is described on the screen that pops up when you select the read or write button.
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Yes, I see that, but when I put the cable in the jack, power it on while holding P1, no orange light comes on likes the CPS says it should and I cannot read it

but if I hold down P1 without the cable inserted and power it on the light does come on like CPS describes, but I can't read it that way either
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Then your issue is either with your cable or USB to serial adapter. I would bet the CPS won't play nice with the adapter. It does some funky stuff like take over the comm port as soon as the CPS is started. I found I had to close the MagOne CPS in order to use RS232 with Astro 25. You'll probably have better luck running XP but even then, the USB to serial adapter is probably your culprit
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

I have the same trouble with the newer BPR40 units and my setup is XP with a real com port and Moto made cable. Older units work with no problem but those I have seen new in the last year have this trouble. I just put them into program mode before I plug in the cable. It does not matter if the cable is connected to the computer or not so it has nothing to do with the computer. Just beware, if you do the work around as I do, once the read or write cycle is done the radio will go into transmit mode so turn it off as soon as you hear the reset beep.

L.E.
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Thanks Lake Effect, once I tried your trick on the trusty old CF-28 with XP and real com port worked right away!
whatradio?
New User

Post by whatradio? »

I have not been able to program some mag ones, have a non Motorola cable and the latest cps 2.03 but after getting the radio into programming mode, like the other guys, with cable not inserted,then inserting it, it reads about 10 percent and then goes into transmit. I get the "check code plug version" message sometimes. Do you think these are just too old? I also tried some older versions of the cps and in some instances got the "incorrect region" error if anything and sometimes the check code plug version. Any ideas? model numbers seem to be normal. Version A
p47r4ck

Post by p47r4ck »

I've had the same issues described above. I figured out the same workaround of getting the portable into programming mode first, then plugging the cable in.

It's worth noting that I'm using a $10.00 Chinese cable. I've also seen on P25.ca that there are issues with using R02.03 with Win7 x64 unless you're using the newest Revision C OEM programming cable from Ma /\/\.

I'm sticking with R02.02 until my $10.00 cable breaks :)

Return to “Radio Programming”