MCS2000 TX VCO issues..Wierd!!

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kj6ko

MCS2000 TX VCO issues..Wierd!!

Post by kj6ko »

This is a wierd one...When I first got this radio, I could not read it with HAM modified CPS, Only with unmodified CPS, but it already had HAM ch's in it.
Other issue, it would not TX on any HAM freq's, but RX was OK. MCS's are usually the other way around! :o Since I couldn't read the radio with HAM CPS, I cloned it from another identical radio that even had close serial numbers. Now I can read and write to it fine..Here are the strange issues...

With the cloned codeplug from a working exact model, it still will not TX on HAM freq's...UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES!...This gets even more wierd!

If I program 935.000, or even 934.000 for an RX freq, and the tX freq of 902.0125, TX works fine!! TX full power, PL etc. Even tried 902.9875 to be sure it was not "at the edge" and it does the same thing, works fine.
If I change the same channel to RX 927.0125, the RX works fine, but the TX fails??? I'm getting more confused!
Now...I programmed lower RX freq's to see where the point is that causes the TX to fail, so I got down to 931.0125 and with that RX freq, the TX at 902 is intermittent! Sounds more like a VCO issue!, BUT, why would the programmed RX freq cause the TX to fail? I don't have a serv manual for these things, but seems I remember that the TX vco and RX vco are completely separate?? Not like the Maxtrac that has a RX / RPTR TX VCO and a separate SIMPLEX / TALKAROUND VCO?? Am I wrong on this?

Keep in mind the RX VCO locks on every 927 freq I have put into it, and the TX will work from 902.0 - 903.0, only as long as the programmed RX freq is above 931 MHZ....Any ideas on this. Talkaround TX reacts the same as RPT TX and on the same RX freq's. Intermittent at 931.0125, Solid TX at 932.000. Really sounds like a VCO problem, but the symptoms don't make any sense!

Still confused!! Any help?? Thanks

Adding more to this, I now have a manual, and when TX is NOT working, all troubleshooting points at the TX VCO not locking and to replace it....problem is, when the RX freq is programmed higher, the TX vco locks just fine! Why should RX freq programming affect TX VCO lock? Still makes no sense!

Return to “Radio Programming”