Serial Port error - Maratrac

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

airboss
What radios do you own?: Maxtrac, Maratrac, IC-7200

Serial Port error - Maratrac

Post by airboss »

OK, Trying to program my Maratrac

Have the correct RSS with a newly purchased RIB. Correct serial cable to the computer and correct 25 pin to RJ-45 to the Maratrac

Everything turned on: Computer in "Full Screen" DOS, RIB turned on (new battery) and Maratrac turned on.

Get into the DOS Maratrac directory and fire up Maratrac.exe - no problem

Trying to "read" the codeplug, I get the following message: "Serial Buss Error #2 No Acknowledgement"

Pressing F3 to "test" the serial port - I get the same message.

I have the RSS set to Com 1, and the computer Com 1 is set to the default settings in the device manager.

Is there some "setting" I have missed? thx
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Serial Port error - Maratrac

Post by wavetar »

airboss wrote:Everything turned on: Computer in "Full Screen" DOS.
This is likely your problem...it sounds like you're running the RSS under a DOS window, not real DOS? What O/S are you using?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
airboss

Post by airboss »

Running Windows 98 - then restart to DOS (C prompt). Isn't this "real" DOS?

Also, tried F8 booting to C prompt.

Not using the DOS "window" in Win98 desktop..

thx
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

short answer no windows still has control of the serial port
either boot with your win 98 boot floppy
or go into c:/windows and double click on " dos mode for games with ems xms support " or whatever it is called
and see what that does for you
to get back to windows type exit at the dos prompt
wendell
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

airboss wrote:Running Windows 98 - then restart to DOS (C prompt). Isn't this "real" DOS?

Also, tried F8 booting to C prompt.

Not using the DOS "window" in Win98 desktop..

thx
This should work fine, yes you are in DOS. If you are able to program other radios with RSS from DOS with that computer then there are a few things to look, if you don't program anything else then check your BIOS to be sure the COM port is enabled.

Jim
airboss

Post by airboss »

Thanks for the inputs! Bios has been checked for serial enabled - yes, enabled. Must be something else. I'll keep checking. I have two Maratracs. I'll try the other one (just got these)...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kd5ual wrote: go into c:/windows and double click on " dos mode for games with ems xms support "
+1 for this, it's the best DOS to use. What make/model is your computer, and what version is your RSS? Only the latest version is Pentium compatible.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

airboss wrote:OK, Trying to program my Maratrac

Have the correct RSS with a newly purchased RIB. Correct serial cable to the computer and correct 25 pin to RJ-45 to the Maratrac

Everything turned on: Computer in "Full Screen" DOS, RIB turned on (new battery) and Maratrac turned on.

Get into the DOS Maratrac directory and fire up Maratrac.exe - no problem

Trying to "read" the codeplug, I get the following message: "Serial Buss Error #2 No Acknowledgement"

Pressing F3 to "test" the serial port - I get the same message.

I have the RSS set to Com 1, and the computer Com 1 is set to the default settings in the device manager.

Is there some "setting" I have missed? thx

You know there is the possibility that there is another device in the computer that is already using com1 and as such there might be a conflict. Your serial port might not be com1.

If you have a modem or serial mouse on the computer, that device might be already using com1.

Have you tried to set the program to look for com2?

Jim
airboss

Post by airboss »

wavetar wrote:
kd5ual wrote: go into c:/windows and double click on " dos mode for games with ems xms support "
+1 for this, it's the best DOS to use. What make/model is your computer, and what version is your RSS? Only the latest version is Pentium compatible.
OK, haven't tried the above DOS, yet. Using IBM ThinkPad T23, Pentium III. RSS is version 5. I have a version 6 also, but it gives me "run time error, divide by zero error".
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

that's because your processor is way too fast for the program.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
airboss

Post by airboss »

thebigphish wrote:that's because your processor is way too fast for the program.
how fast is recommended? thx
Will

Post by Will »

airboss wrote:
thebigphish wrote:that's because your processor is way too fast for the program.
Maratrac RVN-4023G Jul-98 Is the version RSS that IS Pentium compatible.

There may be a problem in the serial port or the RIB from the error message you are getting.

None of the Motorola or aftermarket/knock-off radio interface boxes are actually truly compatible with the RS232 standard.
This is a known problem that was never corrected. So some computer serial ports do not work with the RIB.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

I used a T23 for years, and now have moved to a T30 for my DOS machine, never any issues with the IBM Thinkpads.

Jim
airboss

Post by airboss »

OK, Interesting. I am suspecting the aftermarket RIB. Also, the "newbie" material (in this site) says the older RSS's like less than 100Mhz computers. So that would be a 386 or 486. But as one poster (above) states he has used the Thinkpad T-2x series with no problem, and they are above 500Mhz processor speed.

I am above average PC geeky (I build and repair them) - so I am determined here.

I'll just keep plowing...

thx to all!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will wrote:
airboss wrote:
Maratrac RVN-4023G Jul-98 Is the version RSS that IS Pentium compatible.

There may be a problem in the serial port or the RIB from the error message you are getting.

None of the Motorola or aftermarket/knock-off radio interface boxes are actually truly compatible with the RS232 standard.
This is a known problem that was never corrected. So some computer serial ports do not work with the RIB.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

For a long time, many RSS packages did indeed need slower 386/486 machines. Thankfully, Motorola did release 'Pentium Compatible' versions for most of their DOS based RSS, except for the real old stuff that was already past it's support cycle. You can see what ones are Pentium compatible here:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52894

It's no guarantee the RSS will run on every modern machine, but the chances are decent that it will (HT600 and Saber are notable exceptions...still very finicky).

I recall several posts in the past about the IR port in Thinkpads causing COM1 conflicts. If you have it, turn it off in the BIOS. Also definitely use the DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS support.

Of course, if you are not using the very latest & greatest Maratrac RSS version, you will still be out of luck.

Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

airboss wrote:
wavetar wrote:
OK, haven't tried the above DOS, yet. Using IBM ThinkPad T23, Pentium III. RSS is version 5. I have a version 6 also, but it gives me "run time error, divide by zero error".

There is a small DOS program called "cacheoff.com" that shuts off the cache in the computer. In many cases this will get you around the "run time error" and the "divide overflow". I have to use it on a number of computers when I run the Spectra software.

Haven't had to program a Maratrac in a number of years, so don't have any up to date help. But you might look around for the small "cacheoff.com" program and run it before you start the radio software. See if that doesn't help. I put it in the same directory as the radio software I am using.

Jim
airboss

Post by airboss »

Fixed it!!! It was the laptop (T-23 1.2GHz) - too fast! Got an old Gateway laptop running 166 MHz. Works perfectly!

Return to “Radio Programming”