"Validate NAC against system ID" APX option

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

adlertom

"Validate NAC against system ID" APX option

Post by adlertom »

I am attempting to get an XTS5000 portable radio to work on a Harris P25 trunking system. This is a legitimate attempt with authorization, valid ID, a system key, etc.

I can't get the XTS to even attempt to affiliate. It just sits there.

Another programmer has been able to get an APX6000 to affiliate to and function on this same system.

So, I compared the APX and XTS codeplugs to see what I might be doing wrong on the XTS. Everything looks like it matches and is correct as far a control channels, channel plan, system ID, unit ID, etc.

However, one item of interest in the APX6000 codeplug is a box/option labeled "Validate NAC against system ID". This option is NOT checked. Therefore, this APX, as programmed, presumably ignores any NAC/system ID mismatch.

There is no such equivalent box/option in the XTS CPS that I can locate. So, I conclude that the XTS either inherently DOES or DOES NOT validate the NAC against the system ID, and that this behavior is not changeable by the programmer.

The Harris P25 system that I am trying to access has a NAC that is different from the System ID. I am wondering if this is what is preventing my XTS5000 from affiliating to or working on the system.

So, my question is, do XTS radios inherently validate a NAC against a system ID, or don't they?

For reference, the APX help file information on this topic is listed below.

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Tom

Validate NAC against system ID

(Trunking System, ASTRO 25)

Causes the radio to validate the upper 8 bits of the 16-bit System ID against the upper 8 bits of the 12-bit NAC (Network Access Code) received on the Trunking - control channel. If a match is not found, the radio does not attempt to register / affiliate to the Trunking site. Therefore enabling this field allows the radio to quickly match a site's NAC code with its System ID and quickly reject interfering Trunking System control channels. This selection applies for the current Trunking System.

When disabled, the radio does not attempt to match the upper 8 bits of the 16-bit System ID with the upper 8 bits of the 12 bit NAC (Network Access Code) code. This allows the radio to operate on control channels having a NAC that is independent of this Trunking System's System ID. The radio may take longer to reject interfering Trunking System control channels. This selection applies for the current Trunking System.
MikeOxlong

Re: "Validate NAC against system ID" APX option

Post by MikeOxlong »

You need to check "Intra-WACN Roaming"

Check this post out:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/3211-Motorol ... #post23408
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The bad part, of course, is you need a WACN key (AWK) to do this. If you already have one, great... if not, you may have to request one.
adlertom

Post by adlertom »

MikeOxlong wrote:You need to check "Intra-WACN Roaming"

Check this post out:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/3211-Motorol ... #post23408

Thank you. That solved the issue.

Tom

Return to “Radio Programming”