XTS/XTL listen only talkgroup feature

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

adlertom

XTS/XTL listen only talkgroup feature

Post by adlertom »

The release notes for Astro 25 version 19.50.00 firmware discuss a new "listen only" trunking talkgroup feature. I am interested in making use of this feature.

I upgraded the firmware in an XTS2500 portable to the latest version 20.00.01, and am using the latest version 20.00.00 CPS. However, I don't see anything new in the CPS trunking personality or zone/channel screens that allow me to define trunking talkgroup(s) as receive only.

Can anyone advise how to enable trunking RX only talkgroups on an XTS?

Tom
Bigfella237

Re: XTS/XTL listen only talkgroup feature

Post by Bigfella237 »

Before you get your hopes up, Motorola in their usual fashion have not setup this feature as you might think.

A radio programmed in this way must still be a legitimate subscriber to the system and it will still affiliate with the site (so talkgroup traffic will be available), it just inhibits PTT

I'm guessing the feature was designed so an agency (like a PD) could issue one of their radios to a third party (like say the media) so that even if they were encrypted the third party could still receive (but obviously not transmit)?

Andrew
adlertom

Post by adlertom »

Yes, I'm fine with the radio affiliating. This is a legitimate/authorized radio on the system. I just want to inhibit transmit on certain talkgroups.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

This feature is exactly what many have asked for, especially for media radios. This way, they can listen without being allowed to talk on the selected RX only talkgroup. As has been noted, the registration has to be valid and radio will still TX subscriber updates on those selected RX only talkgroups.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
adlertom

Post by adlertom »

My question has been answered. It's located on the personality/general tab, and is called transmit mode. Trunking personality TX disable looks different in CPS than conventional personality TX disable (which uses a checkbox). I saw that field, but didn't look close enough!

Return to “Radio Programming”