How do I remove the ASK in MTS2000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ffemt1764
What radios do you own?: VHF/UHF MTS 2000...and growing

How do I remove the ASK in MTS2000

Post by ffemt1764 »

I have recently acquired an MTS 2000 that was apparently last programmed with an ASK. I am wanting to program this radio for conventional only with one regular system key trunked system. Any way to get around the ASK required unable to write radio?
Mike L.
KA4EMS
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: How do I remove the ASK in MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Let me share with the group what I have used to get around this. I can tell you it works. I have used it on MTS2000's with firmware versions ranging from 5.44 to 8.73, regardless of flashcodes.

You need to dig out an old, archaic MTSX DOS version 2.xx. DO NOT USE LAB/DEPOT as you will end up with the FAIL 01/93. Regular vintage MTSX DOS RSS V2.01 for example, will work.

Read your radio ON YOUR DOS programming computer and save the codeplug, using DOS RSS V2.xx. Then write it back to the radio. yes, it WILL work.

Take your freshly DOS written (now former) ASK'ed MTS2000 and connect to your CPS R02.03. You can now read (and write) your MTS2000 with the ASK.

I have done this one two dozen MTS2000 800s, most of them with F/W ver 8.73, and it works fine. My theory is that the ancient MTS2000 RSS does not recognize the ASK flag in the codeplug, and just zeroes it out when writing. It seems to understand the codeplug structure just fine though.

You only need to do this ONCE (unless your MTS2000 gets written to with an ASK again).
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “Radio Programming”