Best Version of Windows (XP,Vista,7,8) for Radio Programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GreatBambino2
New User

Best Version of Windows (XP,Vista,7,8) for Radio Programming

Post by GreatBambino2 »

What would you suggest the best version of Windows (i.e. XP, Vista, 7, 8) is for Radio Programming? I have always enjoyed Windows XP but have started to consider a newer operating platform due to the upcoming discontinued support for Windows XP.

What say you?
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Best Version of Windows (XP,Vista,7,8) for Radio Program

Post by wavetar »

Depends on what you're programming. XP covers just about all your bases, but Windows 7 32-bit will work for just about everything as well. Windows 8 is incompatible with most CPS at the moment.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n9jig
What radios do you own?: CDM's, Pro Series portables.

Post by n9jig »

I have had great success with Windows 8.1/64-bit on my SurfacePro recently. It has worked fine with Pro Series CPS on my CDM's and HT750/1250/1550's as well as recent versions of APX. It has also worked well with various scanner and ham stuff.

I have used the Moto USB cable for the APX and a Moto serial cable for the CDM'w and HP via a StarTech IUSB2321F USB-Serial adapter.
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
http://www.n9jig.com
MaxK98
What radios do you own?: Lots of Motorola!

Post by MaxK98 »

I prefer using XP. I also never had much luck with usb to serial converter so I found an older HP Elitebook pour a serial port. Dual boot with DOS 6.22
All my codeplugs are in there and I backup them once and in while on my server just in case.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Bear in mind that the latest APX CPS Release notes (R11.05.00) state:

"This will be the last CPS release to support the Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems."

I haven't seen any simular notation for ASTRO 25 (or any other family) CPS yet but chances are it's in the pipeline?

Andrew
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

I find the best thing to have when programming CP's, especially the more complicated ones, is to have the largest monitor possible. :)
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

KS4VT wrote:I find the best thing to have when programming CP's, especially the more complicated ones, is to have the largest monitor possible. :)
Or, preferably, two large monitors. One for APX, full-screen... the other for your source material.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

tvsjr wrote:
KS4VT wrote:I find the best thing to have when programming CP's, especially the more complicated ones, is to have the largest monitor possible. :)
Or, preferably, two large monitors. One for APX, full-screen... the other for your source material.
Yep that works excellent as well.

Return to “Radio Programming”