XTS4000 programming cable

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

saberthree
New User

XTS4000 programming cable

Post by saberthree »

Does anyone have the pinout diagram for the XTS4000 RS232 programming cable? I purchased a nextel NKN6544B programming cable that should fit in the XTS4K, it should be here by the the end of the week. I am aware that the unmodified cable will make my radio transmit and that I should pick a receive only channel while using CPS. To my understanding I need to unsolder everything but these connections correct? and after that play the waiting game while it reads and writes. Eventually I would like to save up and get the real deal cable, Im sure that it will read and write a whole lot faster, along with the reliability. any input on improving a programming cable is welcomed in short of buying the real cable, thanks again for the input

this is what I have came up so far for what connections need to be on the cable if I were to modify it, if anyone can verify this or give me advice, it would be much appreciated
1 (ground)
3 (optB+_vpp)
4 (rs232_tx_usb+)
5 (rs232_rx_usb)
6 (rts)
8 (cts)
Bigfella237

Re: XTS4000 programming cable

Post by Bigfella237 »

See my post on the P25 forum here for the pinout:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/1025-XTS4000 ... 0#post7290

(Sorry to redirect you to another forum but I can't post images here)

The only difference between the XTS4000 cables and the Nextel variant would appear to be the way the two "Option Select" pins are configured?

Andrew
saberthree
New User

Post by saberthree »

From what I read and talked to others, I just have to do minor modifications to the nextel cable to make it work properly. if it works, ill have to post it for others in my position. I just cant justify spending 300 bucks on a cable, maybe for feds and local yes but for the average joe, its a bit much. Frankly I am kind of surprised by the lack of information about the 4K, its a very sweet discreet P25 radio, the only few things I can knock about the radio is that the battery life sucks for the slim battery (hopefully batteries with graphene in them will come out) and the second one is when people see my radio, they assume its an old nextel phone and tell me "dude you need to get a new phone"

what do you you mean by option select?
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

Assuming you saw the pinout attachment on the other forum, the 13th and 14th pins from the top are labeled "CE_OPT_SEL1" and "CE_OPT_SEL2", these are the Option Select pins and are used to let the radio know what type of accessory is connected. For example, a Remote Speaker Mic would be configured to mute the main speaker in the radio once connected.

In the table below that are the three conditions that can be met by activating these pins, unfortunately I can't remember now how to physically achieve this (and I don't much feel like pulling my own cable apart again) but I would guess that grounding both pins would result in the "No Function (Normal)" condition, but you would need to confirm this, it may well be that both pins need to be open circuit? Maybe someone else here can confirm?

I suggest you wait until you have the cable and try connecting it to the radio to see if it either transmits or mutes the external speaker, then you can compare which Option Select pin is already grounded and confirm the theory?

Andrew

EDIT:

I wouldn't be holding my breath with regard to new chemistry batteries being introduced, being an ASTRO 25 radio I doubt you could still buy these new as they're approaching their End-of-Life as far as Motorola is concerned. Also, having a battery unique to just these radios and with them being more of a low-volume specialized application, I doubt there will be too much demand for after-market battery manufacturers to jump in either?
saberthree
New User

Post by saberthree »

Ill just have to wait and find out when the cable arrives. As far as SEL1 and SEL2, I believe those wires have to be unsoldered,I could be wrong though. TIme will tell, and Ill let you know how it turns out.

I doubt advanced batteries will come out for the XTS batteries too, they are going towards thir end of life, but you never know about after market manufacturers
saberthree
New User

Post by saberthree »

update, the cable I ordered works like a charm without modifying it at all. I read the radio finally, and I have to say I am happy that it was a 20 dollar cable that did it then a 400 dollar cable!!!! I want to modify the cable to make it more efficient but frankly why fix something that isnt broken? Ill probably only use this cable maybe 4 times a year if that!

Return to “Radio Programming”