Win7 Ultimate / APX CPS Issue....Help Req.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dorf411

Win7 Ultimate / APX CPS Issue....Help Req.

Post by Dorf411 »

I have a new laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit and I can't get APX CPS to run. Every time I load the CPS the splash screen will come up but the program never runs. A call to Motorola says they may not support Ultimate, I find it hard to believe there is that much difference between Pro and Ultimate to cause the program not to work. I thought the only difference was added features and capabilities. Anyone here got APX working on Ultimate?

Thanks,
Squad5
was mwb9122

Re: Win7 Ultimate / APX CPS Issue....Help Req.

Post by Squad5 »

APX CPS R11 runs fine on my 7 Ultimate x64 rig. It was a fresh install of windows, not an upgrade
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I have been using W7 Ultimate 32 bit on my old D630 with every version of APX CPS since the radios came out. No issues.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

Okay thanks for the feedback, that is great to hear. I couldn't believe there could be that much difference between Pro and Ultimate. So does anyone know of any addon applications that need to be loaded to make it work that may have not automatically loaded?

I did all of the windows updates and made sure I have the adobe flash player and .net framework 4.5, I am sure both of them are needed.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

Are you running APX on an Admin level acct?
wendell
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

Yes, it is an admin level acct.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Try right clicking on it and using the "Run as admin" option. Even though you are logged into admin, some programs still need that to run properly.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

tuckerm wrote:Try right clicking on it and using the "Run as admin" option. Even though you are logged into admin, some programs still need that to run properly.
That doesn't work either.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

I've got one more thing you can try. Right click on the program again, and try the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" option. See if Windows can figure out what it's barking about.

Honestly though, I've had CPS running in a domain environment and non domain environment under Windows 7. 32bit and 64bit without issue. I would do an uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Make sure AntiVirus isn't getting in the way.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Dorf411

Win7 Ultimate / APX CPS Issue....Progress had been made!

Post by Dorf411 »

I have made great progress by formatting the hdd and reinstalling Win7 Ultimate from scratch, all drivers, and Windows updates. APX software now works and I have been installing all other needed software little by little checking progress along the way to confirm APX CPS still works. When confirmed still working I make a new restore point then add a few more programs needed and repeat previous step.

At what seems to be major milestones I have been making a system image that I can restore back to in the event something goes horribly wrong.

Where I have issues is that since the release notes for APX CPS do not include Win7 Ultimate as a supported software then the "tech support" at Motorola simply state that it must not be supported. Gee thanks.

The other issue that I had was that I mistakenly assumed my new laptop from Dell that has a restore partition would allow me to actually us that to restore the system without installing Windows and Drivers myself. For some reason my doesn't seem to have that ability. Had I known that I would have created my own image before starting.

Assuming I find a culprit along the way that caused my APX CPS to fail, I will update this thread to identify the offending software. I don't think I ever tried to run the APX CPS on the initial install till much later in the process so I don't know if it would have failed right away or not. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Return to “Radio Programming”