CDM 1250 Cannot read radio with CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

insight3fl
New User

CDM 1250 Cannot read radio with CPS

Post by insight3fl »

I have read over 40 pages of the board and there are many posts like mine, but... after spending the better part of a week and two different "multi" serial ribless cables that plug into the mic port, I can not get the radio to read. I have used these cables and the CPS to read an HT 750 that I bought from the same police agency as the CDM 1250. I programmed it fine with both the USB to serial converter (attached to the ribless multi cable) and on a second computer with a dedicated serial port and NO USB converter. Under either scenario, the CDM 1250 will not read with the MIC connector. It does NOT have the remote head, ruled that out. Have tried all the various com port fixes (the red and green lights always light on the RIBLESS connector device when the proper com port is chosen, so I know the serial port (or USB converter) are being connected, but the radio still fails to read. I have also tried the supplied mic and it works and keys and transmits audio through the radio so I know the jack is working at least through the radio. I have tried both CPS version 06-04 and 06-11-05. NO go.

The only thing I have not tried is to use the rear connector. I am tired of buying cables!!! I guess I can try the RJ converter to 20 Pine for another $15 and two days of shipping wait and would not mind doing that if I was certain it would work. I also understand that many folks don't like the knock off cables and I would even buy the MOTO oem cable if again I was sure this would do the trick.

What am I missing here??

Thanks for this great resource. I have learned so much about programing here, if I could just get a shot at it if it would read the radio!!
Bill_G

Re: CDM 1250 Cannot read radio with CPS

Post by Bill_G »

Take it to a Moto shop to see if they can read it with their rib and cable and rss. It could be your choice in cables causing the problem, but you should verify the radio will talk to something first.
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Thanks... I am going to do just that today...
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

insight3fl wrote:I have read over 40 pages of the board and there are many posts like mine, but... after spending the better part of a week and two different "multi" serial ribless cables that plug into the mic port, I can not get the radio to read. I have used these cables and the CPS to read an HT 750 that I bought from the same police agency as the CDM 1250. I programmed it fine with both the USB to serial converter (attached to the ribless multi cable) and on a second computer with a dedicated serial port and NO USB converter. Under either scenario, the CDM 1250 will not read with the MIC connector. It does NOT have the remote head, ruled that out. Have tried all the various com port fixes (the red and green lights always light on the RIBLESS connector device when the proper com port is chosen, so I know the serial port (or USB converter) are being connected, but the radio still fails to read. I have also tried the supplied mic and it works and keys and transmits audio through the radio so I know the jack is working at least through the radio. I have tried both CPS version 06-04 and 06-11-05. NO go.

The only thing I have not tried is to use the rear connector. I am tired of buying cables!!! I guess I can try the RJ converter to 20 Pine for another $15 and two days of shipping wait and would not mind doing that if I was certain it would work. I also understand that many folks don't like the knock off cables and I would even buy the MOTO oem cable if again I was sure this would do the trick.

What am I missing here??

Thanks for this great resource. I have learned so much about programing here, if I could just get a shot at it if it would read the radio!!
Before we go too much further, exactly what error message is your CPS returning when you try to read this radio? Knowing that is critically important in order for anyone to come up with a solution.

Also, your copies of the CPS are very, very old. It's possible that the radio has been programmed with a much newer version.
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Error message has been "can not connect... check power to RIB and check if Radio is powered on....." I am not getting the "compatibility" error from the CPS trying to match the radio and CPS versions. I am familiar with that from other posts here. I did have a MOTO shop read the radio today with an OEM RIB and OEM cable through the RJ jack. It worked fine.

I realize they are using up to date software, but unless my cables "read", my understanding is that the CPS version is not relevant to getting the interface to work. Perhaps I am wrong on that.

Thanks all.

Dennis
SteveC0625

Post by SteveC0625 »

insight3fl wrote:Error message has been "can not connect... check power to RIB and check if Radio is powered on....." I am not getting the "compatibility" error from the CPS trying to match the radio and CPS versions. I am familiar with that from other posts here. I did have a MOTO shop read the radio today with an OEM RIB and OEM cable through the RJ jack. It worked fine.

I realize they are using up to date software, but unless my cables "read", my understanding is that the CPS version is not relevant to getting the interface to work. Perhaps I am wrong on that.
No, I think you have it right, but as I pointed out, the exact error message does matter. It points us in a proper direction to solve the problem.

Try this sequence:

1. Radio on

2. Load up the CPS

3. Plug the cable into the PC. If you use USB, you should get a beep which tells you the PC spotted the cable and assigned it a comm port.

4. Plug the cable into the mic jack.

5. Click File --> Read Device The system should open a little window called Select Port. Using the dropdown, select the Comm Port.

(If the Comm Port is higher than 4, it likely won't work on your older CPS versions and you will get the exact error message mentioned. In that case, you'll have to back out of the CPS and make sure the Comm Port is 4 or lower which you can do through Devices & Printers. Then reload the CPS and try again.)

Critical Point: Using the Read Device button the on the toolbar won't give you the Select Port option. It will default to the last Comm Port used. File --> Read Device
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Excellent advice Steve. Thanks. I have done all that...including making sure the port is below 4. The computer with the dedicated serial port is com 1 and when I use the USB to serial adapter on this machine, it is com port 3...and under both scenarios I was able to read the HT 750 (with that appropriate cable on the multi cable interface) but no go with the CDM and its appropriate RJ cable. I learned all those caveats when I was setting up the HT750 until it finally worked. I know I have read elsewhere that someone had the exact same problem: go on an HT750 and no go on a CDM 1250. I am going to try one more American made cable from Polaris that I have heard is reliable. Otherwise, I am going to have to find a used MOTO RIB and cable as I can not afford $300 to program one device.

Dennis
SteveC0625

Post by SteveC0625 »

insight3fl wrote:Excellent advice Steve. Thanks. I have done all that...including making sure the port is below 4. The computer with the dedicated serial port is com 1 and when I use the USB to serial adapter on this machine, it is com port 3...and under both scenarios I was able to read the HT 750 (with that appropriate cable on the multi cable interface) but no go with the CDM and its appropriate RJ cable. I learned all those caveats when I was setting up the HT750 until it finally worked. I know I have read elsewhere that someone had the exact same problem: go on an HT750 and no go on a CDM 1250. I am going to try one more American made cable from Polaris that I have heard is reliable. Otherwise, I am going to have to find a used MOTO RIB and cable as I can not afford $300 to program one device.

Dennis
With all that ruled out, I am now wondering if the RIB to radio connector has some kind of issue. If the RIB works OK with the HT, then the only other thought I have is there.
Will

Post by Will »

I have seen the 'mic' connectors go bad and not make connection with the programing pins. Check the pins on the cable and in the radio. Someone may have used a RG45 8 pin connector in the radio.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Will wrote:I have seen the 'mic' connectors go bad and not make connection with the programing pins. Check the pins on the cable and in the radio. Someone may have used a RG45 8 pin connector in the radio.
His local radio shop had no problem reading it with their rib and cable. The jack is probably okay. Emphasis on probably.

Signed, Bill
who has never ever ever been burned by a bad cord or jack or crimped on wire. Ever.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Nope. No bad luck for Bill. Not even on prebuilt Times jumpers :D
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

escomm wrote:Nope. No bad luck for Bill. Not even on prebuilt Times jumpers :D
I have good angels, but sometimes they get bored and must take off for Hawaii for a few days or something. I dunno.

Like a week before Christmas. The perfect storm of stupid stuff - a locked up card in a channel bank, a lifted wire on a 66 block, the line driver on a tone remote panel, AND the darn RJ all contributed to one channel having no receive. Transmit just fine. Arg.
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

The angles flew in on the new cable today via USPS from Polaris and it does connect and attempt to read the radio.....but now the other roadblock is in place... the 2009 version software is triggering the "code plug not supported". I know there are sample code plugs (so many I am not sure which one matches the 1250) in the MOTO directory that was installed with the CPS. Can I "read" the proper one of those and "write" that to the radio and "downgrade" the code plug version and go from there? If not, is there any other work-around other than spending $300 for software that I can not afford?

Thanks all,

Dennis
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Since my previous post today (which at this time is not showing). I was able to load a sample code plug for the cdm 1250 and was able to set up 6 channels and "write" that code plug to the radio. I works....but when I try to "read" this "new" code plug I programmed, it still will not read due to the version error. I guess it will have to be "one way street" and while I can not read the radio after it is programmed, I can program it just the same. Am I missing something here as I don't see any need to "read" it as long as I can write and update any new programming changes I make to the saved code plug.

Thanks,

Dennis

Return to “Radio Programming”