One of two CDM1250s not seen in CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mjmason
New User
What radios do you own?: Moto, Yaesu, Icom, Kantronics

One of two CDM1250s not seen in CPS

Post by mjmason »

Troubleshooting a programming problem and hoping I am not missing something obvious. Thanks for your patience.

I have two CDM1250s, a UHF (403-470mHz) and VHF (136-174mHz) model. These were eBay finds from separate sellers, so I don't have a lot of info on their history. CPS version is R06.10.02. I am programming using an aftermarket RIBless cable and a USB-to-serial adapter, and running CPS in Windows 7 in "XP SP2 compatibility mode." I know from reading the forum that all of these are variables that can prevent correct communication, but up to this point I have had success.

The VHF model (as yet unprogrammable) has been remoted, so has the female RJ45 plate on the front of the radio. I'm connecting radio to head using the correct flat Motorola cable, and connecting the RIBless cable to the mic jack on the front of the head. Is the fact that the radio and head are remote, preventing the cable from reading the radio? (BTW, the error I get in CPS is the typical "Check to ensure the connections between computer and RIB, and RIB to radio are OK". I have ordered the housing adapter that will allow the head to be mated back to the radio and am hoping this makes a difference.

Interestingly, the RIBless cable came from the seller of the VHF radio...but that's the one I can't program...his cable reads and writes the UHF radio just fine. We have been in contact offline and I'm confident I haven't been sold a bill of goods/DOA radio, but he has not experienced the problem I'm having. I neglected to ask whether he had programmed the radio with head unit attached directly, or remote.

I don't know how to confirm whether both radios were programmed using the same version of CPS (especially since CPS doesn't see the VHF radio yet), nor do I know whether a variance here would cause a problem (the posts I've read suggest it might, but I see conflicting user experiences).

Do any of you kind folks have suggestions?

Thanks
Matt N2ZQO / WQUV618
jackhackett

Re: One of two CDM1250s not seen in CPS

Post by jackhackett »

Reading a remote mount CDM is generally hit or miss. Best option is to convert it back to a one-piece.
mjmason
New User

Post by mjmason »

Thanks Jack!
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Try unplugging the remote cable from the radio and place your programming cable into that connector rather than on the remote head. Some folks have good luck reading and writing that way.
mjmason
New User

Post by mjmason »

Good idea, I'll try that tonight. I guess I thought the head unit needed to be attached in order to generate the "I'm syncing, don't unplug me" and "I'm done syncing" audible tones, but I guess watching the status bar in CPS will give me the same information. Slowly but surely I'm getting over the impulse to hold my breath every time I hit "Write device." :) Thanks Steve.
mjmason
New User

Post by mjmason »

Sonofagun, it worked. So, powering the radio on or off (via the head unit) doesn't seem to matter, as long as the radio's connected to power during the read/write procedures. Seems counterintuitive...

Return to “Radio Programming”