Windows 10 and HT1250 CPS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

skorea2131
New User

Windows 10 and HT1250 CPS

Post by skorea2131 »

I have been attempting to program a HT1250 with the R06.12.09 CPS software on Windows 10 with no success. I have tried installing under compatibility mode, as well as running as administrator. Every time I try to read the radio, an error message comes up;

Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and Device to RIB, and RIB to PC connection is OK.

I am using a RIBless cable, and have been able to use it to tune the radio, but it will not read in CPS. Any ideas?
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: Windows 10 and HT1250 CPS

Post by SteveC0625 »

skorea2131 wrote:I have been attempting to program a HT1250 with the R06.12.09 CPS software on Windows 10 with no success. I have tried installing under compatibility mode, as well as running as administrator. Every time I try to read the radio, an error message comes up;

Couldn't open port. Check whether Device/RIB are powered on or not, and Device to RIB, and RIB to PC connection is OK.

I am using a RIBless cable, and have been able to use it to tune the radio, but it will not read in CPS. Any ideas?
The driver for the cable is too new. Win 10 will always get and install the latest driver for USB devices. You probably have an older Prolific chip in your USB programming cable, and it might even be a clone or counterfeit. Newer drivers detect the clones and won't run them.

The trick is to roll back your driver to an earlier version that your cable will like. Right click on the start button on the taskbar and select Device Manager. Go to the Ports (COM & LPT), and double click it. It will give you your USB chip type and cable. Mine says Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM 6). Double click that and then select the driver tab. It will tell you the version of the driver. If it is any newer than any 3.2.x.x driver, it won't work.

Go out on the net and find Prolific 2303 version 3.2.x.x and install it on your computer. Then do the Device Manager thing. On the Driver tab, there's a button to Update Driver. Select that and then follow the "on my computer" choices to install the lower version driver.

Then reload the CPS and it should work fine. Just a word of caution: you will probably have to roll back the driver whenever you want to program the radio again. Mine holds the driver for several reloads, but eventually self upgrades to the newer driver and then I have to roll it back again. A small pain, but it does solve the problem.

There are lots of posts on the net to be found for the searching if you want more details. Just don't get too specific in your search terms. The problem is Win 10 and the Prolific drivers. Searching on motorola CPS is going in the wrong direction. Just learn about and solve the Prolific driver issue.

This problem will also hold true for USB cables for the Commercial Series as well as the Professional Series. Search tags follow.

Search tags: The Professional or Waris
Series of radios includes:

HT750 HT1250 HT1550
EX500 EX600 EX560 EX650 PR860
CDM750 CDM1250 CDM1550
HT1250LS+ CDM1550LS+ CDM1550LS

It may be helpful to search using wildcards.
If someone asks a question about one model,
the answer usually pertains to most, if not all.
They are all programmed with HVN9025 CPS.
The last version of the CPS released before the
product line was discontinued is R06.12.09.

If you need a blank codeplug, there is a folder
full of them, one for each possible model
number on your hard drive. The folder is in
the Program Files where your CPS is installed.
It is labelled SAMPLES.

Search tags:

The Commercial Series includes:

Portables: CP150 CP200 CP200XLS PR400
Mobiles CM200 CM300 PM400

It may be helpful to search using wildcards.
If someone asks a question about one model,
the answer usually pertains to most, if not all.

They are all programmed with RVN4191 CPS.
The last version of the CPS released before the
product line was discontinued is R05.18.

If you need a blank codeplug, there is a folder
full of them, one for each possible model
number already on your hard drive. The folder is
in Program Files where your CPS is installed.
It is labelled SAMPLES.
skorea2131
New User

Post by skorea2131 »

I tried it out, and it worked great! Thanks for your help!
rustyjw
New User

Post by rustyjw »

I can't get the HT1250 CPS to install on my Windows 10 computer. Any idea how I can get it to install?
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

rustyjw wrote:I can't get the HT1250 CPS to install on my Windows 10 computer. Any idea how I can get it to install?
What version of the Pro Series CPS do you have?
rustyjw
New User

Post by rustyjw »

R06.12.05
majordutch
New User

Post by majordutch »

I was looking for some other information in the forum and ran into this post. We ran into the same problem in our shop when we upgraded our programming computers. As shown above, it is possible to fiddle with it to get it working, but the prospect of getting all the way out to a customer site and having CPS that may or may not work when I get there was unappealing. We also ran into intermittent issues with Windows 10 and the MOTOTRBO CPS, where our laptops would read some TRBO units fine, and others it would never read, but our Windows 7 machine would read every unit every time. Obviously all software versions were identical, new firmware on the units, etc. We solved both the Pro series problems and the TRBO unreliability by simply installing Windows 7 on a virtual machine, and installing all of the CPS programs on the VM.
It may sound intimidating, but it is actually easier than you think. If you are willing to spend a few hours reading about it, anyone who could fiddle with drivers could easily do it. An added benefit, is that instead of having to update all the laptops in the company every time a new CPS comes out, I can just update all the software on my virtual machine, and then just copy the one file for the virtual machine to all the computers. It's worked out to be an extremely reliable and elegant solution. Hope it helps!
la9ky
New User

Post by la9ky »

YES!!! finally i got the correct information!!
you guys are ….. just read the above post about backdating the driver to 3.2.0.0 and bang, i managed as skorea2131 to contact my CDM1550LS.
Thank you so much, been struggling for 3 days…..

Return to “Radio Programming”