Converting Motorola GP680 to a GP380 - Is it really neccessary?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Nelixuk2003
New User
What radios do you own?: GP680

Converting Motorola GP680 to a GP380 - Is it really neccessary?

Post by Nelixuk2003 »

Hi All

I've tried searching the internet for the answer to my question but cannot find a definitive answer.

I am about to get my hands on some GP680's, I don't know the versions of any of the firmware or codeplug's etc until I receive them.Is it possible to convert these to a GP380 for conventional use or can the 680 be used as a conventional radio without the need to convert? I don't need the Truck capabilities that the 680 has but if there is no need to convert and I can still program them up for conventional use then that will save a lot of work. Are there any limitations to using the 680 in a conventional manner, such as limited Channels etc.I had several 340's 360's and 380's many years ago and was familiar and more than comfortable with the programming of them, I stupidly sold them due to lack of use and have regretted it ever since so when these 680's came along I knabbed them quick.

Thanks

Nelix
Derrils
New User

Re: Converting Motorola GP680 to a GP380 - Is it really neccessary?

Post by Derrils »

Martin.
It can be done. but not officially.
That's why they won't answer you.
You need to be extremely careful, as it's an exacting process.
PM me here please.
I'll do what I can to help you from here.
Have you upgraded It's native Firmware to Version 02.09.02 yet??
This you need to do.
If you use the lab tool to force in the Code plug needed without doing that, you will kill the Atmel Flash Rom for sure, and the radio will never fire up again.
As for the display cabinet, the only difference is the front label, which is a bonus.
I'll send you a label FOC if you don't have One ;-)
My firm has converted several hundred of these, over the years.
I'm not fishing here for work, in case the moderator reads this.
Do you have the correct RS232 cable, and flash adapter.
The cables are very very expensive now, which is why people are reverting to using cheap Chinese USB variants. BAD IDEA, as these have been also known to brick radio's. FACT!, as I have evidence of this.
Without these, you are dead in the water mate.
Hope this helps you.
AndyThompson

Re: Converting Motorola GP680 to a GP380 - Is it really neccessary?

Post by AndyThompson »

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to flash some GP688 to GP388. I have a working home made flash adaptor that I have successfully updated firmware on several sets but wondering what the process is to change models. I'm sure I've seen it in the past but cant seem to find it now.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Return to “Radio Programming”