XTS5000 Firmware questions

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cbroseinak

XTS5000 Firmware questions

Post by cbroseinak »

Local search and rescue volunteer group received a bunch of XTS000 radios donated from NOAA fisheries. I can read them, but cannot program anything into them.
I get a pop up window saying: "Cannot write radio with out advanced keys"

So what do these radios need to allow them to be programed by me. I have CPS vers R20.01.00

I am a professional series/Radius dealer, but these are out of price book items for me and I have never really worked with them before.

Thanks
C17LVFD

Re: XTS5000 Firmware questions

Post by C17LVFD »

The radios have been bitten with an advanced system key which needs to be removed before you can do anything with them.

They should contact NOAA and see who exactly used these and what system they were on. Maybe they can get the system admin the radio were on to remove the ASK.

Respectfully,
Seth
Seth
cbroseinak

Post by cbroseinak »

I do have a contact person with NOAAA that I believe has a key. Is there anyway to just do one and then OTA program the rest? I did look into the way the one radio they provided me was setup in advance system keys and that feature is enabled.

Does it take long to unlock each unit if he has to them physically?
and does firmware flashing override this issue? I only ask because maybe they do not have the ability to remove the ASK. The good thing is that one of the Volunteer search team members works in the office and has contact with the enforcement officer that has the ability to remove the ASK. They of course would not allow the USB key to leave their sight.
C17LVFD

Post by C17LVFD »

I’m not aware of a OTA removal of ASK.

They have to go into each radio and remove the Trunking system and ask write protect with their ASK loaded into the computer that’s writing the radio.

If they’ll give you an ask, so you can remove them yourself all the better, just get detailed instructions on how to do it from their tech.

Unlock time is a simple rewriting of the radio.

From my experience firmware updates don’t override write protect.

Easiest path, would be to take them back to the agency, let them remove the ASK and then you’ll be home free.

Good luck,
Seth
Seth
cbroseinak

Post by cbroseinak »

Seth, thank you so much for your help. I have talked to my volunteer contact and he is going to talk with the NOAA person who hopefully has what we need to remove the ASK from the radios so then I hopefully can help them out.
C17LVFD

Post by C17LVFD »

My pleasure. Good luck!
Seth
Seth

Return to “Radio Programming”