Here's a Solution to Back Up Dos-based Programming Systems

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rodell

Here's a Solution to Back Up Dos-based Programming Systems

Post by rodell »

I was getting very concerned about the amount of software and codeplug archives on my very old 386 programming laptop and the potential need to reinstall/reconfigure/recover if anything happened to it.

Since the thing is DOS, and not on the network, I looked around for something that could use the serial or parallel port and then move it to my Snap archive.

I found a product called FastLynx 3.3. It allows you to run a tiny program on the DOS machine and a full-featured Windows client. File transfer is over USB, parallel cable, or serial with a null modem cable. An easy file selection method, and, the ability to upload a program to the DOS machine even if it doesn't have a floppy make it more valuable.

It is $35 if you download it - cheap protection. (http://www.sewelldev.com) Now I know I will never have a failure of the programming machine!

Rob
Northeast MA
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: Here's a Solution to Back Up Dos-based Programming Syste

Post by thebigphish »

rodell wrote:It is $35 if you download it - cheap protection. (http://www.sewelldev.com) Now I know I will never have a failure of the programming machine!
Ahhh, dunno about that! But you can have backed up copies in CASE of a failure of the programming machine! :-)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

My 386 runs from a 32MB CompactFlash card, so there's no ancient HDD to die. It takes about 20 seconds to pull the card out of the laptop and dump its contents onto my PC.
rodell

Post by rodell »

I've never needed a backup - if I had one.

My Compaq machine (that sometimes has to go to a site for programming) will probably outlive me!

The CF card is a good idea.

Rob

Return to “Radio Programming”