Programming /\/\ Equip with USB->Serial converters

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

libuff

Programming /\/\ Equip with USB->Serial converters

Post by libuff »

im sure someone out there is programming with a serial converter and connecting a RIB box to their computer via USB... what is the success or problems with this idea?
KE9GK

USB-->Serial

Post by KE9GK »

I have done it too many times to count with continued success. However, this has only been done successfully with Win based CPS...never DOS based RSS. My computer wont recognize my USB ports in DOS...and therefore the converter will not work.

Hope this helps!!
911-EMT

Post by 911-EMT »

wavetar
Administrator

Re: Programming /\/\ Equip with USB->Serial converters

Post by wavetar »

libuff wrote:im sure someone out there is programming with a serial converter and connecting a RIB box to their computer via USB... what is the success or problems with this idea?
Yeah, there's been a dozen threads or more on this topic. Bottom line, your mileage will vary. Some people report success, others report problems. I know for a fact the Belkin units we tried a few months ago would allow you to read the radio, but it took much longer than a regular serial port. The tech tried writing to the radio with it...turned it into a brick. As a rule I stay away from them & use PCMCIA serial cards instead...it's the laptop equivalent of putting a serial port card into a desktop computer, so it's much more compatible.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”