Another New Spectra Programmer Question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rescue1026

Another New Spectra Programmer Question

Post by Rescue1026 »

I have RSS V R06.00.05 RVN4001N, misplaced manual years ago.
I have the RSS saved on my desktop, when I double click the .exe file the RSS opens in a dos window and seems to function properly using an archived file.
Is this the proper way to run the RSS?
From what I have read, it may or may not write properly and I dont want to try to write if this is the case.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Yeah, you can modify the archive file on any computer that will run the software.

Programming - I'd follow the programming primer on the main http://www.batlabs.com site in order to get firmiliar with the recomended hardware to do the actual programming.

Either way - you can save, edit, do whatever you want to the codeplug until your blue in the face - just don't use that same setup to dump the codeplug back in to the radio.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

alex wrote:Yeah, you can modify the archive file on any computer that will run the software.

Programming - I'd follow the programming primer on the main http://www.batlabs.com site in order to get firmiliar with the recomended hardware to do the actual programming.

Either way - you can save, edit, do whatever you want to the codeplug until your blue in the face - just don't use that same setup to dump the codeplug back in to the radio.

-Alex
Would this apply to the archived read of the existing code plug?
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

It's been a while since I had used this RSS, I didnt remember having to boot to dos to run RSS.

I will have to replace the RIB and cables, as I have borrowed from local radio shop.
Any input on the WisCom RIB, or any suggestions?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Rescue1026 wrote:It's been a while since I had used this RSS, I didnt remember having to boot to dos to run RSS.
You can run the RSS in a DOS Window to read saved codeplugs, edit & save them, etc. The only time it's imperative to be in DOS mode is when you are doing physical read/writes to the radio.

We use all Moto gear at the shop, so I have no opinion on other makes.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

Is there a more convenient way to save the RSS than on the desktop?
In order to start in DOS mode, I would have to type in the location of the .exe on the desktop location?
I had the RSS installed on another laptop that died, and I am trying to get it setup on my current unit. Its been so long ago know that I dont remember how I had it setup to run from DOS.

Thanks
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I made a DOS floppy disk, from a Win98 system, that knows how to read the FAT32 file system. (If you're using NTFS, this won't work.) I then boot from the floppy, giving me true DOS. I change to the hard drive (C:), then to the appropriate directory (cd spectra), then run the program (spectra). Under that directory I have ARCHIVE, BACKUP, and SYSKEY directories. Codeplugs automatically get saved in the ARCHIVE directory.

Works great as long as your programming computer is using FAT16 or FAT32 file system. I don't believe there is a floppy version of DOS that knows how to read/write an NTFS partition.

The RVN-4001 manual (6880101W48K) talks only about DOS commands. No mention is made of any Windows operating environment.

I'd agree with the other posts: do what you want with the on-disk codeplug under Windows, but drop down to true DOS when a radio is connected and communications between it and the program are happening.

Unless, of course, you have unlimited funds and don't care about turning your Spectra into a brick when something aborts the transfer process.

Bob M.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

I'm using an old Toshiba Satellite running Win 98 FAT32
Is there a better location to save the RSS?
I have all of the system and archives saved in one "Spectra" folder on my desktop.
I will try the DOS boot. Would starting win98 from dos prompt still be questionable?

Sorry for all of the ???'s. Its just been so long since I have had to use DOS.

Bricks are what I dont need, unfortunately my local Moto shop charges $100 every time I need to have prog. changes. So I'm dusting off the old RSS.
I'm basically a utility grade programmer, I cant stand having equipment that I cant program
Does the Moto manual have detailed info for setting this software up on my laptop?
All of the forums and website assume that you are proficient in DOS and dont provide much detail on a good setup.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

If you don't want to mess with booting from a floppy, go to C:\WINDOWS and look for an icon called "MS-DOS Mode with EMS & XMS support". Right-click it and hit Send To --> Desktop (create shortcut). When you click that icon, it will reboot you into a stable version of DOS that will give you full functionality of the RSS.

As for where to save your software, that's 100% up to you. Most setups I've seen have a subdirectory under C:\ labled "MRSS" with all their software contained in individual folders inside of that.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

The config you suggest would allow for simply entering the MRSS at the comand prompt to get to the .exe to lauch program?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

No offense, dude, but I think you're making this out to be more complicated than it has to be.

It sounds like you want to be able to launch the software directly from your desktop while running Windows. In that case, save the software package to your file folder of choice, then browse to said folder under My Computer --> [C:]. Hit right click --> send shortcut to desktop on the spectra.exe file, and you're set. You can double-click the icon and it will immediately launch the software in a command prompt.

And just to reiterate what wavetar and kcbooboo said, you can't actually program the radio in this state. You absolutely have to restart in DOS to program the radio.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to get the new install configured properly.
I havent used this RSS in several years and I'm just having trouble getting the install done, it was installed by someone else originally.

Thanks for the help.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

There's no real install involved. Everything the RSS needs to run is contained within the folder on your desktop. To make things easier, I suggest you simply click & drag it from your desktop to your C drive. That way, when you go into DOS, all you need to do from the "C:\>" prompt is type "CD spectra" and the prompt will then show "C:\spectra>". Then you just type "spectra" and away you go.

I'm assuming your folder is called "spectra" in the example above.

I also advocate using the "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS & XMS Support" method of booting into DOS as motorola_otaku suggested above.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Rescue1026

Post by Rescue1026 »

Followed your suggestions, works just as it used to.

Thanks for the help and patience

:D

Return to “Radio Programming”