New at Programming With some questions......

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fdnyems49

New at Programming With some questions......

Post by fdnyems49 »

Hello Board.... I have read as much as i can without my eyes falling out of my head... But i just still dont know the answers to my questions.....

1) I got the astro saber/xts 3000 software , i mainly got it for my xts but i see that it also said (Saber Astro) does this mean that i can buy a saber astro and read/program it with no problem if it has been previosouly programmed in dos....Because in the hint/tips screen it says something along those lines.... Also can this software be used for any oter radios besides the saber astro and xts3000......

2)I also own a Mts2000 i was interested in the software since i own the radio and now have the cable since its the same for the xts. if i was to purchase the MTS2000 software what other radios is that software compatable with.also if my mt2000 was previosly programmed with dos would it be a problem reading and programming with cps?

3) I am interested in the ht1000 as a backup radio and for work. is this software different from the mts and the same thing in re: to dos to cps.

4) I have a saber vhf on the fritz if anyone knows of a place in the nyc area cheap and reasonable please let me know.....

Thank you,
John
FDNYEMS49
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Software

Post by Hartley »

Hi John,

1) The software for XTS-3000 will also program the Astro Saber (but nothing else). As long as what you have is the same or newer than what was used before, (RSS or CPS) you won't have a problem.

2) The MTS 2000 CPS package will also program the MT2000 (a DOS RSS program, not CPS) and also the other sub-variants in this series: MTX8000/9000, MTX-838, etc. It will NOT program the HT-1000.

3) The HT1000 has it's own RSS (no CPS available) which will also program the Visar.

I can't help you with the Saber - sri!

73 DE Hartley
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

o.k. i got it up and going but got a question... i have it programmed but on two ch's there are pl's for rx but still sounds like and open csq ho do i get rid of that if poss..
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

fdnyems49 wrote:o.k. i got it up and going but got a question... i have it programmed but on two ch's there are pl's for rx but still sounds like and open csq ho do i get rid of that if poss..
What is your muting option set for?
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

unmute.or mute
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Re: Software

Post by CTAMontrose »

Hartley wrote: 2) The MTS 2000 CPS package will also program the MT2000 (a DOS RSS program, not CPS) and also the other sub-variants in this series: MTX8000/9000, MTX-838, etc. It will NOT program the HT-1000.
not correct, unless they changed it in a version higher than 1.x, MTS2000 CPS will ONLY program an MTS2000. Any efforts to read an mt2000 or MTX will result in "radio not compatable"
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I think Hartley was refering to just the DOSware for the MTS/MT2000 radios and not the CPS. The CPS is a completely different animal in that respect. At least that is how I read it.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

O.k. I got a copy of mts2000 software i believe in rss (dos)....When i try to install it it has a bunch of different files unlike cps where you click one file and its installed. Can someone explain to me how to install this software on my comp. I am running on windows but i dont ko the speed. and ho would i get to it to use it once it is installed.....
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The MTS & HT DOS software will not function in windows 2000 or XP. The software might run but it won't be able to read/write. It will work with 95 & 98, that is it. If you have 2000 or XP, you will need to boot the PC into real DOS with a boot disk of some sort.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
RKG

Post by RKG »

The DOS-based RSS comes with an install utility. Put Disk #1 in your A:\ drive, type "install" and press <enter>, and it will take care of installing for you.

Installing usually means creating a new directory, expanding compressed files, and copying them to the new directory, and modifying a batch file in the new directory to call the program.
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

ok i have a slow laptop with win 98....how do i boot up in dos. i have a copy of the mts software on a cd. how or what do i do to install this i am comp.stupid when it comes to this.
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Go to start menu, click on shut down, then select "Reboot in MS-DOS".
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
RKG

Post by RKG »

No: you have to run the RSS in native DOS. Either dedicate a machine to RSS and install MS-DOS 6.22 or PC-DOS 7.1 on it, or install System Commander on the machine (an OS selection menu program) and install MS-DOS or PC-DOS as the second operating system.
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

ok i tried to read a saber 3 vhf and could not with an error of a eprom what is that, and can a saber 2 be changed into a saber 3 and if so how...
silverbk

Post by silverbk »

Read the Saber section on this site. It explains how and when you can attempt this.

Personally I have not had any luck with this procedure.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

if your rss is on a cd it didn't come from motorola. you need to get the right disk from motorola or your taking a chance on turning your radio into a brick.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
fdnyems49

Post by fdnyems49 »

I am in need of a codeplug for a saber3 vhf 146-174 split. All that can help thank you ,,,,
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

You can generate a new one in the software.
fdnyems49

CPS Question????

Post by fdnyems49 »

I had my friend install cps into my laptop for me it came back with the following:

1) Alpha series radio cps

2) Commercial series cust. prog cps

3) Proffesional Radio cps ver: R06.01.00 & R06.02.03

4) Pass Port Cust. Prog Software R03.00.04

Now the question are any of these the same and if not what radios are they for...... I believe #3 is for for cdm/ht's but the rest i dont know...
fdnyems49

cable building

Post by fdnyems49 »

does anyone have a site or know wher i can pick up the 1.7v bias at. I reside in nyc... Thank you....
fdnyems49

Re: Dos laptop

Post by fdnyems49 »

O.k. Is there anyone in the NYC 5 Boro area that is willing and able to help me set up my laptop to run just in dos. i would like to install the software for ht1000, mts2000 and saber. i am comp dumb when it comes to stuff with dos..... please if any one can help please let me know i am willing to travel.....PM me if you would like to contact me via cell/Nextel..

Thank you,
DewAddict

Post by DewAddict »

Not trying to hijack the thread but I too have an MT2000 and the newest software comes on a 3.5 floppy disk per Moto. Can I run a 98 laptop in DOS mode and program the radio?

I have ribless cable already and recently received my MOTO Business account for software. I just want to make sure it will work. The newest RSS/CPS for the MTS/MT2000 just came out in February of this year according to the techs, so I assume it should run in DOS mode of 98?? It figures my radio is the only one in the software package that requires DOS, the MTS will go on windows...lol

Any opinions. I am new to the forum and did read the software guidelines but am stil a bit lost.

Rob
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

I'm still a bit lost too, but I think I understand that in order to program the MT 2000 with the RSS in DOS, you're going to need to use an old, slow machine (486 or older) in order to avoid problems.

I have an old 286 machine (16mhz clock speed) that I picked up on eBay for $14.00. I'm goining to dedicate it to Motorola RSS programming. I'm still waiting for my RSS to arrive from the big M.

BUT, the more I read here, the more skeptical I'm becoming about being able to program my own radios. :o I hope I'm not in over my head already...

Anyone willing to offer an encouraging word?
Terry

Return to “Radio Programming”